Hmmmm, Win98

Benontheroad 14:13 15 Oct 06

Hello

I am helping my Dad with his new broadband connection and have just realised he is running Win98.

I have added all the old updates for 98 but I believe it is not supported by Microsoft anymore

1. Is there a cheap way to upgrade to say Win2000

2. Do any firewall products support Win 98? I have tried to install Zone Alarm but it says it is not compatible with the OS

I want to help my Dad secure his system as best as possible but can't really afford to start buying new computers with the latest OS. Let's face it, with his specs xp wouldn't run even if I did have it

Any thoughts...any help would be appreciated

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:20 15 Oct 06

Firewalls (use one only)
Sygate click here
Kerio4 click here

Antispam (use both)
Spywareblaster click here
Adaware click here

Antivirus (one only)
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here

don't waste your time with ME or 2000 on an old machine.

Some BB don,t like ( BT for instance).

Benontheroad 14:22 15 Oct 06

Thanks for your reply; I am going to try and download the products you listed and see how I get on

Technotiger 14:25 15 Oct 06

Hi, I am afraid that there is no cheap update from Win98/ME, neither are supported any longer by M'soft. I would suggest the best alternative is to try for a 2nd hand pc with XP already installed - have a look in your local paper.

Cheers.

Wak 14:53 15 Oct 06

Hi, I still run Win 98SE as I don't like win XP and I use Avast A/V, Sygate firewall, Spywareblaster,
Adaware, Spybot S&D and A2.
As far as updates are concerned have a look at

click here

It's an unofficial SP2 for Win 98 and should bring you O/S up to date.

These should also help you.

click here
click here

Benontheroad 18:22 15 Oct 06

Thanks all. I have used some of the software above and all looks secure.

I went for a product called Outpost firewall in the end; Sygate would not load

Thanks again

Bogbrain 19:15 15 Oct 06

I updated from Win 98 to Win 2000 for 10 quid. I bought a Win 2000 upgrade cd from ebay and have updated 3 pc's using the same upgrade cd.I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever.
Incidentally, I'm talking Win 2000 Pro here.

Belatucadrus 21:03 15 Oct 06

So W98 isn't supported any more, if you use an alternative browser like Firefox and ensure the AV up to date and the firewall is W98 compatible click here r-firewall is. Then I don't think the problem is anywhere near as bad as Redmond suggests.
Buy a new OS if you want, just don't expect W98 to grind to a halt if you don't, there are still a few users of W95 out there and their worlds haven't collapsed.
To quote Douglas Adams

"Don't Panic"

Totally-braindead 21:05 15 Oct 06

Thats very true Belatucadrus I know quite a few people using older PCs with Win98 on it and since it does all they ask of it they feel no need to upgrade. And why should they as they are happy with what they have.

woodchip 21:38 15 Oct 06

I am using a 98se computer, right now to type this and when you see me on hear it's this computer 99.9% of the time not my XP computers

hijo 21:50 15 Oct 06

hi Benontheroad i had win 2000 an original copy (2 of them) & i was going to throw them until 2 days ago i gave them away to someone local...if i had of read this post before today i would of gladly sent you them...sorry m8

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now