Hitachi hard drive into a Packard Bell PC?

kinksfan 22:30 14 Aug 14

I have an Hitachi Deskstar hdt725050vlat80 hard drive from a now defunct PC and wondered if it could be fitted into a Packard Bell UTOW-BEN? I notice the PB's existing hard drive is SATA and the Deskstar is PATA; are they compatible alongside each other (Deskstar as slave)? The PB has leads which look like power etc. connections for periferals (labelled P3 & P4)and the motherboard has ports which are grouped with the existing hard drive and DVD data ribbon ports (I would need to obtain another ribbon for the Deskstar??), so on the face of it, it might be possible???? The Deskstar works well because I currently run the disk in an external housing connected via USB, but this takes up a port and I would rather have the drive safely stowed away from the risk of being pulled off the desk by the family (this includes me!).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:21 14 Aug 14

Yes it will work (no slave using sata) just plug into the next available port (p3) with a new data and a power cable attached to the psu.

Just check what sort of spare power cable is available if no spares then a splitter cable will do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…