"Hit any Key to Reboot" without Bootable CD

Danoh 00:26 24 Oct 05

I have a 3+yr old Evesham PC with XP Home SP2 and 2 IDE HDDs with 3/4 partitions on each. There are shortcuts in most partitions to folders on other partitions.

I have had to restore the C: O/S partition with a DriveImage7 image split into 650Mb chunks stored on the 2nd HDD.

Everything is fine as long as I have a bootable CD left in the CD drive. But when I try to restart the PC without a bootable CD left in the CD drive, I get a "HIT ANY KEY TO REBOOT" message after the BIOS completes booting and can not get Windows to start up.

When I tried to format Drive C: and reinstall XP from scratch, I get the same issue when I installed XP SP2 and tried to restart with the non-bootable XP SP2 CD left in the CD drive.

I'm rather stuck as I can't even start back from scratch unless I'm prepared to keep starting the PC with a bootable CD left in place.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance.

P/S
I had created an earlier thread
click here
which I shall wait to see if I get more responses before ticking as resolved and add a link to this new thread with hopefully a more succinct Title, instead.

AndySD 02:17 24 Oct 05

Can we assume you have a set of rescue disks and not a full version of Wodows? Also what is the evesham model and model number?

Danoh 08:54 24 Oct 05

Thanks AndySD; I have Evesham's recovery CD which does have a full version of XP Home. The model is PC Advisor Axis 1900+RK with upgrades since.

AMD 1900+ (1.6GHz) 512Mb ASUS a7v266e motherboard, 2 x 160Gb Samsung HDDs, USB2.0 PCI card.

Danoh 09:15 24 Oct 05

BTW, although the backup image is in 50Mb chunks, they are all on the 2nd hard drive and recovered from there and from CDs.

The recovery is successful as well as the XP clean install. Its only on rebooting/startup that I need to have a bootable CD in the CD drive to be able to progress into Windows startup and continue working.

If I do not have a bootable CD in the CD drive, I get the "HIT ANY KEY TO REBOOT" msg after BIOS startup and can not get to Windows startup.

Danoh 09:16 24 Oct 05

sorry that should be _not_ recovered from CDs.

Danoh 10:38 24 Oct 05

This was resolved with a call to Microsoft support. Just summarising the events that followed in case anyone else has the same problem that I had and my resolution could be of some help.

Boot from the XP installation CD and run Recovery Console's "CHKDSK /P" which found 1 or more errors.

Still within Recovery Console, I ran the command "bootcfg /rebuild" as the HDD setup clearly needed some boot files which were missing/corrupted, and followed the on screen prompts;

Only 1 installation of XP was found so I added that the Boot List. For Load Identifier I typed in "MS Windows XP Home Ed" to distinguish it from the existing description in Boot.ini. Left the OS Options blank.

On rebooting without the XP CD inserted, I then got a "Disk Boot failure, insert system disk & press enter" message. Putting the XP CD back in, I was then shown 2 Windows Installations to select to boot from ~ picked any as there is only 1 XP installation but two label references (removed one by editing boot.ini, after taking read-only attribute off)

Rebooted to check the BIOS boot sequence (Hit the DEL key repeatedly on startup) to find that somehow the HDD bootup was set to DISABLED.... I don't recall having done that at all (another mystery). But once I had enabled HDD bootup as the 3rd boot device after floppy and CD, all is fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…