History/Internet Options

User-394903 16:20 01 Oct 08

Afternoon all,
HP Pavilion Win XP SP3. About a week ago I installed SP3. I didn't go into the MS site, I installed it by way of a message that came up saying that SP3 was available to download/install,
which I did. Since then I can't access History or Internet Options. I used to access them from the right side of the screen. I've Just looked in the control panel, the Internet Options icon now has only 2 checkmarks where there used to be 3. When it is clicked, a screen flashes for a split second then disappears.
I have scanned in safe mode using AVG8, Super AntiSpyware, ASquared, SBotS&D, SpywareBlaster and Adaware2008.
Thank you in advance for any help.

provider 2 16:30 01 Oct 08

A missing registry sub-key, perhaps?

click here

john bunyan 17:29 01 Oct 08

digijack. Suggest 1. Read the many other recent threads on SP3.(including links to HP problems)
2. If you made a pre install restore point, you could go back to it, otherwise you can uninstall SP3 in the usual way via control panel,-remove programmes..
3 Download SP3 to desktop - dont install. (see threads how to do this from MS site for developers).
4. Disconnect from internet, disable AVG,firewall, etc,install SP3 from desktop. Re-enable AVG etc, reboot,reconnect to internet look for MS updates.
At least then if you have to uninstall again you have the dowload on your PC as it is long winded.
Good luck - do read the threads.

User-394903 17:35 01 Oct 08

Thanks provider 2. Will try later.Also, just noticed that at the very top of the page in the top left corner there is the Internet Explorer logo only. In the right hand corner are the window controls.

User-394903 18:17 01 Oct 08

To john bunyan. Thank you but I've already done a restore at several dates without any success. I went back as far as I could.

peter99co 18:52 01 Oct 08

During my install of SP3 a restore was taken by the installation routine. Looking back though the restore calender it is still available.

User-394903 19:01 01 Oct 08

Thanks guys till tomorrow. Called out.

peter99co 19:42 01 Oct 08

During my install of SP3 a restore point was taken
by the SP3 process I should have said.

User-394903 00:48 03 Oct 08

To provider 2. Thank you for the link to MS help and support. I feel that I can't continue to follow the instructions under the SYMPTOMS heading as I have no tools to access Internet Options. As for the RESOLUTION, and because I'm not sure of what I can expect if, at the command prompt, I type regsvr32 /n /i inetcpl.cpl
In the absence of the dropdown that houses the History and Internet Options, what can I expect to see if I type in the command after typing cmd in run?
The more I search and read, the more confused and unsure I become because of the conflicting reports on SP3.
Please help if you can.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…