HijackThis 1.99.1

Trikie 12:39 12 Apr 05

I have upgraded from the free version of Ad-Aware to SEPlus. Trying to load it it suggests removing the earlier version but cannot do so - a message is "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file." comes up.

Going to Control Panel> install/uninstall i see that Ad-Aware is not listed but I found HijackThis listed. I don't recognise it and so haven't looked at it or tried to uninstall it - is it a nasty?

Also how do I sort out Ad-Aware?

Yoda Knight 12:43 12 Apr 05

Hijack this is a program to analyse what your pc is running, used for trouble shooting and fault finding.

Adaware... try rename the directory it is in, and then install the new version (ignore the prompts) if it works you can then delete the old directory. If it doesnt, uninstall the new version and re-name the directory back to what it was. Then we'll try a different fix...

VoG II 12:45 12 Apr 05

Just try installing Ad-aware without removing the previous version.

HijackThis is a goody click here

Trikie 12:48 12 Apr 05

Thanks Yoda Knight. I do remember help with a previous problem that involved analysing the PC but I didn't tie it up with the name.

I'm not over-technical (to put it mildly) - what/where is the directory and how do I change it?

Yoda Knight 13:00 12 Apr 05

try VoG™s' way 1st (easier) and post back.

If you still cant install it we can then look at trying my suggestion

Trikie 13:56 12 Apr 05

I have just downloaded ZoneAlarm free, then disconnected from the Internet, run aVast, SpyBot and Microsoft Beta 1 to hopefully clear everything and then installed Zone Alarm.

Looking at other postings the general opinion seems to be that the best combination is Zone Alarm and aVast - Ad Aware with Zone Alarm seems to produce more problems so for the time being I will leave it off.

If I do decide to install it I'll try VoGs suggestion first.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…