hijacked e-mails?

mikel1878 20:32 15 Oct 04

I have a number of e-mail addresses for different purposes. With one of them (on lycos), I keep getting messages from the Postmaster telling me thefollowing message:
L'antivirus notifica che hai
spedito una E-mail a [email protected], contenente il : [email protected] virus nell'allegato
msg.txt .exe . Oggetto della E-Mail: "Re: Error".
La E-mail e'stata cancellata.

The AntiVirus software has reported that you
sent an E-mail to [email protected], containing the : [email protected] virus in the
msg.txt .exe attachment. The subject of the E-mail was "Re: Error".
The E-mail containing the virus has been quarantined to prevent further damage.

The messages all relate to supposed e-mails that I have sent to Italian addresses. Has somebody hijacked my e-mail address? Why would they do that? I have checked my computer for the virus but always draw a blank. Any advice? Thanks.

VoG II 20:36 15 Oct 04

Somebody, possibly somebody you know, has an infected machine that is sending out the e-mails using addresses from their address book.

rômanab 20:37 15 Oct 04

Probably not your pc, more likely someone else who has your email in there address book has got infected and it's spoofing your email address.

mikel1878 20:39 15 Oct 04

Thanks VoG
So does that mean there is nothing I can do? Is it anything for me to worry about? or do I just put up with it?

VoG II 20:42 15 Oct 04

There's not a lot you can do about it (you could send a message to all of your contacts saying that you think one of them has the Netsky virus).

Just keep deleting them.

If it is any consolation I sometimes get deluged with similar e-mails at work.

mikel1878 20:43 15 Oct 04

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…