Hijacked address book, help anyone?

Effie 23:24 21 Dec 08

I have just found out that my Hotmail account has been generating un-authorised e-mails to everyone in my address book over the last 24 hours.

Can anyone advise is it possible if I have malaware keylogging software on my computer and how do I detect and remove it? Avg scans don't show up anything amis but obviously something v nasty is going on with Hotmail and I need to sort it out asap.

All suggestions much appreciated .

DieSse 00:53 22 Dec 08

Change your password immediately.

I've seen this a couple of times - there is a hole somewhere and it's not necessarily on your system.

DieSse 00:54 22 Dec 08

Should have said I've only seen it with hotmail accounts!

T0SH 16:26 22 Dec 08

I think maybe it is a trojan called DNS Changer (it also can have other names) it seems to target web based email clients and hotmail in particular by diverting your browser to a fake login page and stealing your password

The main problem is with web based mail is that any one of the pc,s you use to log on and check your mail that could have the trojan

I have heard it said that Malwarebytes MBAM.exe will remove it

As DieSse said it is most important to change your password also add a couple of non working dummy e-mail addresses to your address book that way if the infection returns the dummy ones will bounce back to your in box and alert you to dig deeper

cheers HC

Effie 23:31 27 Dec 08

Thanks DieSse and Tosh, I have now changed my password.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I have been busy with things over Christmas and am only now getting back to look at my computer. I will try and set up the dummy e-mail addresses you suggest and keep my fingers crossed Tosh!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now