Jason-211945 12:07 13 Sep 05

My father-in-law is having problems accessing the internet. When he opens IE, the window appears, starts to load something and then closes. He is also having this problem with Firefox? I think he's been hijacked. If this is the case, is there a solution? He's using XP and IE6 and has tried the latest version of Firefox.

field divison 12:36 13 Sep 05

Spyware Guard is really good and will prompt you if there is any Unusual activity taking place and will ask you what you want to do with it.

Download 2.2 here
click here

keith-236785 14:01 13 Sep 05

click here for a start page hijacker tester.

it scans ok but as a free trial it wont delete the files it finds but at least you would know.

adaware click here will scan your system for spyware.

spybot click here search and destroy does what it says, it searches for and destroys adware/spyware.

click here is a 30 day trial trojan checker (again, it wont delete anything it finds but does tell you where they are for manual removal)

click here for The Cleaner, another trojan checker.

or you could try microsofts new checker, i dont have the link for that im afraid

field divison 14:18 13 Sep 05

MS new checker is a beta version and u can find it here click here

I myself would stay away from 30 trial software and only load it if I was going to buy it.maybe because I hate loading somthing on then having to uninstall it again as it just takes up space sitting there after 30 days.there is a few out there that do just as good a job as paperman27 stated spybot is good and noadware is what I run. but at the end of the day everybody is different just like there pc's, pick what suits you best...

field divison 14:23 13 Sep 05

you could also run a highjackThis program which will produce a log file and if you are lucky enough someone might tell you what u dont need in your log if you post it on here, but it needs to be posted in 3-4 pages as you can only get so much typed on each thread box,(also space each line out so it can be worked on better)then save and copy/paste so much at a time on an new thread.

keith-236785 23:01 13 Sep 05

point taken but the idea was just to check for trojans/spyware, not to give a never ending protection. just basically for elimination purposes.

for me, hijackthis is good but i dont understand its results so i dont bother with it. i know there are people on here who excel with it though and it might be the only answer.

good luck

p;3 23:08 13 Sep 05

if you do wish to have a HJT log read correctly please do not post it here but on click here this dedicated forum and they will give you thorough help and guidance, including the most up to date programs to use; they are a forum dedicated to such problems as yours and well worth a visit:))

T0SH 11:47 14 Sep 05

There is no need to post your HJT log in this or any forum, you can copy paste into the window on this site then click the "Analyze" button it will tell you which entries you can safely remove

click here

Cheers HC

keith-236785 15:34 14 Sep 05

you just have to laugh,

i ran a hijack this, pasted the log into the analyze link given by TOSH

it reported i had no virus checker ( i have AVG)

also reported no Firewall ( i have a router with hardware firewall AND zone alarm PRO)

shows how much this prog knows

heres just a small section of the log that was analyzed.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe

VoG II 15:42 14 Sep 05

These HJT checking 'bots' are downright dangerous in my opinion.

keith-236785 19:21 14 Sep 05

I ditto that VoG, it was asking for me to click a link to download its recommended virus checker/firewall (like IM sooooo stupid lol)

For a checker prog that can’t find probably one of the most popular virus checkers after Norton beggars belief.

Also reported no firewall, Belkin router with built in firewall, ZA pro AND windows XP firewall, exactly which one of them can’t it see that I have got.

Dangerous behaviour in my eyes and I will not use it. I only used it to try out the link from TOSH,

People be warned, programs such as this can also give false positives to encourage you to purchase THEIR product.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…