hijack, virus or two av programs making it slow?

josie mayhem 22:53 19 Apr 05

fixing a computer today, that had slowed down so much it really wasn't loading proberly. Get to the desktop and that was basicaly it. It seemed that something was hogging the memory. But under safe mode, the computer worked fine and at full speed.

Could the whole problem been based on that I did find two anti-virus programes on it?

Becaue I also ran spybot, adware ect on it and remove a lot of rubbish, and then ccleaner on it. I did a defrag as well, but I sure that this wasn't the problem has the hhd was hardly used.

Even though I've now got it up and running, I wonder weather I need to worry that there might be something there that will come back to haught (I have already warned my friend that this might be a possiability)

woodchip 22:57 19 Apr 05

You should NOT RUN TWO AV PROGRAMS on the same computer. Stop one of them runing better still remove it.

VoG II 22:58 19 Apr 05

Get rid of one of the anti-virus. The others will co-exist quite happily.

josie mayhem 23:14 19 Apr 05

I have, that was the first thing I did when I realised that two was there.

I'm hoping that this was the course of the slowness, because I couldn't see anything else that looked suspect.

woodchip 23:16 19 Apr 05

check MSCONFIG to remove all none needed boot programs

p;3 23:18 19 Apr 05

which av program have you left on there and which was the other one ( just curious)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:20 19 Apr 05

Two av programs especially if running resident scanning operations will constantly be finding each other as suspect signatures.

Rue is 1 firewall 1 AV and as much antispy as you like.

Norton and McAfee are both resource hoggers AVG or Avast both free and both pretty good with other protection.

josie mayhem 23:56 19 Apr 05

I have left AVG7 on the computer. The one I removed was Panda (I think) it was loaded by the shop that they had taken it do when it first went down.

I checked mscongig again, once I removed Panda and rebooted and it wasn't there only AVG7 so I assume that panda is now gone. And the computer has now returned to full speed

p;3 00:17 20 Apr 05

as they say; never run two av programs on the same machine; however, you can run on-line scans; have you updated and run the AVG yet? just to check the machine:)

and I might run stinger just to be sure, although I would suspect it was the two av programs vying for space and disputing who is King of the Castle::))

josie mayhem 00:30 20 Apr 05

No I haven't run stinger, I will do so the next time I'm over my friends. But I'm sure that has it sounds it is more than likely the disagreement between the AV's

P.S I did orignaly uninstalled Panda, before putting the AVG7 on, so how panda got back in I'm not sure. But I did a quick check of the regisrty enteries and couldn't find it there. so here to hoping...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…