Hijack my Explorer?

tnelis 10:48 29 Mar 04

Can someone hijack my Internet Explorer to access the web? I received an email saying "you have been looking at illegal sites", which I have NOT done. So either someone has used my info to do this, and I'm getting the blame, or the whole thing is a hoax....Their email contained a .zlo file which I think is a .pif file. I have not open it in case it's a virus....any ideas anyone?

temp003 10:51 29 Mar 04

Do not open the email, and just delete it.

Diodorus Siculus 10:53 29 Mar 04

Either spam or a virus - more likely a virus as it has hte .pif extesnion. Nothing for you to worry about - just delete it.

Try a program like mailwasher to delete such stuff from the server before it gets to your machine.

temp003 10:57 29 Mar 04

The email is almost certainly a hoax. Yes, certain spyware can install diallers to your computer to connect to sites. But when it does connect, you're likely to see it, and even if it does it without you knowing it, no one is going to tell you through an email - that defeats the purpose of the spyware.

If you're worried about spyware on your computer, try:

Ad-aware click here or Spybot Search & Destroy click here

Install one of them (or both if you like), download updates from the program itself, scan your computer, and remove any spyware detected.

For prevention, try SpywareBlaster. click here

cycoze 11:37 29 Mar 04

Zonealarm can change pif files to zlo extension , as said above probably a ScareWare email containing a virus , delete it .

temp003 12:44 29 Mar 04

I like the name ScareWare.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…