Hijack This log problem

slowhand_1000 18:51 19 Mar 05

Windows 98

When running Hijack This on a friends pc and selecting scan and save log file after the scan a pop-up window appears saying "Not a Microsoft Chat Conversion file" you have to click 'OK' for the window to go and then what looks like some sort of Microsoft Chat window opens. The file is saved as a log file in the HJT folder.

What prompted him to ask for help was an annoying pop-up on start-up. And a rather inappropiate picture that appears as a splash screen on log-in.
This picture follows the usual Windows splash screen.

Cheers

slowhand_1000 18:59 19 Mar 05

I've run Adaware and installed Spywareguard and SpywareBlaster

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:51 19 Mar 05

Post the log file here for our experts Nellie2 and Mark2 to look at, wait for their advice.

slowhand_1000 20:18 19 Mar 05

I can't post the log as it's saved as a Microsoft Chat file with a file name ofhijackthis.log

When the file is saved a Microsoft Chat (not MSN) window opens.

slowhand_1000 21:26 19 Mar 05

I have tried doing just a scan without saving to log file, then took the option to save manually. The log file is now save as an mpeg???

I managed to do a print screen of the pop-up and it had res://ie4tour.dll/welcome.html in the title at the top of the window before reverting (at great speed) to Microsoft Explorer.

After having a look on the net it seems the easiest way to stop it was to get rid of the welcome.exe in IE folder. It was that or edit the registry, so I took the easy way out :-)

All I need to do now is get rid of the splash screen image.

Ivor_Monkey 21:42 19 Mar 05

Sorry, I can't udnerstand why you cna;t just copy and paste the log onto this page?

slowhand_1000 01:29 20 Mar 05

I can't copy and paste because I can't access the log file. The two copies of file that I've saved (by doing a scan and save log) have been saved as

a) A Microsoft Chat file

b) An mpeg file

For some reason it will not save as a .txt file. Like I said when I tell HJT to scan and save to file instead of a .txt file opening in Notepad, the small pop-up appears and Microsoft Chat opens. When I look in the HJT folder the logfile has a Microsoft Chat symbol.

I tried just telling it to scan, then I saved the log manually and it ends up as an .mpg file.

I've tried uninstalling and reloading HJT but the outcome is the same.

kimjhon 06:07 20 Mar 05

Try using this. xrayPc click here
The same app with refinements, but your PC may not know that.

slowhand_1000 13:32 20 Mar 05

Thanks for the link dcdc. I'll go and have a look.

I will tick this resolved for now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…