highspeed usb device?

Parklife 13:44 11 Mar 04

Looking at a friends pc the other day he told me that he kept getting a high speed device plugged into a non high speed usb hub. I suppose the pc is right but can he buy a high speed usb hub and will it automatically be installed?

JerryJay 13:54 11 Mar 04

Some manufacturers refer usb 1.0 devices as highspeed usb device because they are faster than serial or paralle devices. So you should specific what you mean. Do you mean usb 2.0 vs usb 1.0?

What is high speed usb device he is using. Only devices such scanner, hard drive, external CD/DVD drive need usb 2.0 port, other devices such as mouse, printer, digital camera do not need usb 2.0

Of course, he can get a usb2.0 hub (pricewise not much different from usb 1.0 hub). But usb 2.0 hub will work as usb 1.0 hub if only one of devices plug into it is a usb 1.0 device. You may think 4 usb 1.0 could share a usb 2 hub, but this is not the case. There are some usb 2.0 hub offer real usb 2.0 even one of device is usb 1.0. But they are not easy to find and even manifacturers do not really know about this.

Stuartli 14:33 11 Mar 04

I use my Agfa 1212u scanner with a USB version 1 port quite successfully and have done so under both Windows98Se and XP Pro.

USB2 is backwards compatible with USB1.

temp003 05:23 12 Mar 04

Yes, your friend can install a PCI usb2 adapter card. His OS has to be at least 98 second edition or later. 98 won't do. Any PCI adapter described as USB2 is fine.

For 98se or ME, he will need to install the driver provided by the card manufacturer manually. For Windows 2000 or XP, their recent Service Packs provide native usb2 driver support (he probably has XP).

If your friend keeps getting the "error message" on connecting a high speed device - it's not really an error - he could try going into Device Manager, expand the universal serial bus, double click the USB host controller entries, Advanced tab, and tick the box for "disable usb error detection". OK. The message should disappear.

Since it's Windows telling your friend that he's using a high speed (or hi-speed) device, then his device is capable of 480 mbits per second transfer.

The usb2 specification really refers to the connection itself. It means it can take devices with the 3 different usb transfer speeds - 1.5Mbps (usb1.0), 12Mbps (usb1.1), and the latest 480Mbps. As Stuartli says, a usb2 port is backward compatible with usb1 devices, by definition.

Some manufacturers have rather sneakily called their products, such as printers, USB2 when they have usb1 speeds - just because the products work on a usb2 interface (which all usb1 devices do). This usage is discouraged by the usb official organisation but manufacturers carry on nonetheless.

A device with the actual faster speed of 480 mbits per second will be called "usb hi-speed". There should be a logo with the words Certified USB Hi-speed. Without the words "Hi-speed", don't assume that it can transfer at 480Mbps, in fact, most probably not.

As far as I know, manufacturers cannot use the description usb hi-speed or high speed if it's only usb1 speed.

But if you see "usb full speed" (also discouraged, but not often used now), it definitely means usb1.1.

Parklife 12:06 16 Mar 04

Thanks for all the info. I just disabled the error detection as suggested. Regards all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…