Highpoint RAID controller and Win XP?

ade.h 20:40 03 Aug 03

Does anyone know how to get a Highpoint HPT370 integrated RAID controller working with Windows XP Home? I'm using an 18 month old Abit KG-7 with the latest BIOS update and I can't find any drivers for it. Abit's site has nothing and Highpoint's site says it's drivers are only for PCI card versions and suggests the Abit site!
What kind of driver should I be looking for?

ton 21:13 03 Aug 03

I'm using the KG-7 Raid mobo. With XPpro, XP used it's own HPT drivers when I installed. I'm not actually using the mobo for Raid but I AM using the Raid (IDE3 & 4) for my two hard drives (soon to be three).

My CD writer and DVD player are masters on IDE1 & 2.
This setup works very well with no problems.
I multi-boot between 98SE, ME and XPpro.
With 98SE and ME I use the drivers that came with the KG-7.

Wilham 21:20 03 Aug 03

Are you intending to set up raid0 as distinct from "proper" raid? The operating sys like xp should be transparent to the raid set-up, even where the Promise controller is integrated in the mobo.

ton 21:26 03 Aug 03

I would imagine that XP found and used it's HPT drivers because I installed using IDE3. I wonder if this would work for you.
It may be that XP home doesn't have the drivers, If so, and if someone can tell me how to extract them, possibly I could email them to you.

ton 21:36 03 Aug 03

If you go to click here you will find the HPT 370 driver for XP.
This is the Abit USA site.

ade.h 23:17 04 Aug 03

Thanks for link - I'll try that. The original Win9x drivers don't work at all with XP - that was the only downer to replacing 98SE. When I first installed XP 8 months ago, I initially left the disks on the RAID array - XP couldn't even see them. As you describe, I used to use RAID as an extra IDE, but after a disk failure I've decided to set up a mirror or mirror/stripe array.

ade.h 23:18 04 Aug 03

What do you mean be a "proper" RAID array? Transparent??

Wilham 23:46 04 Aug 03

Raid0 (or raid zero) is not proper because there is no redundancy,- the r in raid. Transparent to xp indicates the raid will run on any O/S, and as ton shows... he runs more than one O/S on the same machine. As I understand it the promise set-up takes its info from the mobo to bios link, so if XP drivers pass addresses to promise they remain unchanged for any other O/S. I'm not really sure about the "any O/S" though. I may be out-of-date in assuming all raid is via promise design.

ade.h 20:11 05 Aug 03

Thanks for the reply - I see what you mean about RAID 0; I'm probably going to use a 1/0 setup with four disks. I'm guessing the Highpoint chip is not transparent to XP, as when I switch it on via BIOS and attempt to load the original Win 2000 drivers in Device Manager, XP kicks up. By the way, how closely matched in specification does each disk need to be in RAID? Same make and model, same RPM or capacity, or is it not fussy?

ade.h 20:14 05 Aug 03

Thanks again for the link - that site is much better than the Taiwanese version. Found loads of driver updates - I will try the RAID driver and let you know.

mrdsgs 20:39 05 Aug 03

with raid o manufactureres recommend identical drives but in reality your performance and capacity will be detremined by the smallest and slowest disk.

eg. with 2x40gig 133 ide drives you will get an 80 gig array running at close to 266.

if you had a 40 gig and a 60 gig drive you would still only get an 80 gig array.

if you combine ata100 and ata133 drives with a two drive array it would run at around 200.

as to identical drives in terms of make, model and memory buffer i would recommend identical if possible but i have had no difficulty with a "mix and match" approach.

mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…