Highly suspicious looking Acronis email

cocteau48 19:32 24 Oct 08

WARNING THIS LOOKS DECIDEDLY DODGY....

I have just received the following email - supposedly from Acronis:

English
Dear customer,
Thank you for purchasing Acronis product(s)! We are pleased that you have chosen Acronis software and we would like to ensure that you enjoy using it.
I am writing today to let you know that some of the serial numbers issued with your recent order can case the software to stop working after 30 days from the product’s installation. We apologize for supplying you with an incorrect serial number and have put in place a program for you to replace the erroneous codes with valid, commercial codes. The process is quick and simple.
Please submit your current serial number(s) at (deleted) to get replacement serial number(s) instantly. Additional information is available in Acronis Knowledge Base at (deleted)
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your understanding in this matter. If you have any questions on the above process, please contact Acronis Customer Central (deleted)
Best regards,
Edward Benack
Chief Customer Officer

I have obviously deleted the three http addresses to stop them appearing as links on the forum.

I have trawled through the genuine Acronis site and can find no reference to any of this especially in the Knowledge base, and have forwarded a copy to them.

..nor have I clicked on any of the links in the actual email itself.

Anyone else seen this?

woodchip 19:35 24 Oct 08

If you are not sure about it why not e-mail Acronis and enclose the Mail as an attachment

mfletch 19:44 24 Oct 08

Same here I would contact Acronis

click here

MCE2K5 19:48 24 Oct 08

Ed Benack click here

MCE2K5 19:51 24 Oct 08

And again click here

cocteau48 19:53 24 Oct 08

MCE2K5
...... which proves not a lot?

sidecar sid 20:12 24 Oct 08
  MCE2K5 20:28 24 Oct 08

Ha Ha, But it Did.

GOODBYE.

cocteau48 21:24 24 Oct 08

Interestingly I have accessed my Acronis account, which is password protected ,and re-entered my product serial codes only to be told that they are all already registered.(to me)
No new codes have been issued "instantly" as was predicted.

sidecar sid

I would be interested to know how you accessed your link (which I note is from the German site but written in English)
I cannot find it in the knowledge base.

MCE2K5
I will be happy to be proven wrong but still maintain that putting Ed Banack on an email proves nothing.

sidecar sid 23:05 24 Oct 08

Simple Google search"acronis knowledge base"
click here=
Second post
Search "serial numbers"

cocteau48 07:45 25 Oct 08

sidecar sid

Thanks for that.
It may be genuine after all (I have heard nothing from Acronis themselves which is not surprising knowing their track record for customer service).
As none of my products are throwing up any warning signs I will hang fire at he moment.

You cannot be to careful these days.
Thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…