High speed usb hub controller

suburban train 19:22 04 Feb 06

Hi All

Ive bought a cheap usb hub from ebay for £2.99, it works fine installs ok no problems there but when i connect my pen drive or digi camera a message pops up saying basically my tasks will take longer as it requires a high speed usb hub controller. Also im using windows xp pro

Where can i get one from?

Stuartli 19:26 04 Feb 06

You are probably referring to the Windows message that using a 2.0 rather than 1.1 USB device will speed up data transfers.

In addition it sounds as though you have an unpowered hub - a powered version would be far better, whether 1.1 or 2.0USB. Most people aren't too bothered about the slower data transfers as it's still pretty rapid.

Alternatively a 2.0USB PCI card with four ports can be yours for about £10-15.

suburban train 19:33 04 Feb 06

Thanks for the advice

Do you know anywhere you can trust to get a 2.0USB PCI card from.

So its not a simple task of downloading some software.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:42 04 Feb 06

How old is the PC?

may not have USB2 ports

USB drivers available in SP2

suburban train 19:54 04 Feb 06

Its about 5yr old, should i download windows XP SP2?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:57 04 Feb 06

At 5 years old not sure if the ports will be USB2 or not.

You should install sp2 for the security patches alone never mind any other added features.

woodchip 19:58 04 Feb 06

The hub must only be a USB 1 it depends on the Hub internals for it to be 1 or 2

Stuartli 20:02 04 Feb 06

I got a Sunix 2.0USB PCI card from a local computer systems builder/components and peripherals sales outlet for just £11.16. It has four external and one internal ports. See:

click here

XP will install the Enhanced USB drivers when you reboot after installing such a card.

terryf 20:03 04 Feb 06

Try 7dayshop, powered usb hub for about a tenner with postage

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…