high speed USB Host Controller

dge45 11:27 25 Apr 05

Can anyone help please. I've just installed a new printer/scanner. When I switch on a window on the task bar tells me that it can perform faster if connected to a high speed USB Port and that I should install a Hi Speed USB Host Controller. I presume that means upgrading to USB 2.0.
How do I do that? Is it a software or hardware change or can I use some sort of convertor.
Anyone know please?

mgmcc 11:40 25 Apr 05

Upgrading to USB 2.0 normally involves installing a PCI card with USB 2.0 ports. Existing USB 1.1 hardware cannot be upgraded to 2.0

Service Pack 1 implements native support for USB 2.0 hardware in Windows XP, otherwise, for earlier versions of Windows, the manufacturer's supplied drivers need to be installed with the card.

ventanas 11:40 25 Apr 05

USB2 will make no difference to the speed of a printer or scanner. They can only go as fast as their own hardware eg the CCD in a scanner, lets them, despite the message.

USB2 only beomes worthwhile with things like external drives. If you want to have USB2 just buy a PCI card, open the machine, plug it into a spare slot and boot up. It will be detected automatically, and be ready for use.

dge45 12:01 25 Apr 05

If it makes no difference, how can I disable the message every tiime I switch on?
There is also an icon on the task bar to remove hardware that wasn't there before in the tray. When you double-click on it, it takes you to the option to disable the USB Mass Storage Device.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch