high number of system idle processes.

I Noticed that my CPU usage alarm flashes up alot.

I also noticed that my system idle processes are bordrering around 80 -90 processes consistently.

Is this normal,

if not how do I 'edit'and trim down the system idle processes.

If not, are there hidden processes that can be revealed, to explain my unusually high CPU usage in simple processes?

SANTOS7 19:42 03 May 04

e system idle process is what is refered to as a sentinal process. It basically gives the CPU something to do when it does not have any other processes scheduled (this allows nicer code in the scheduler, since it does not have to have special cases when there are no runable/ready processes). Also, this process can be useful from an OS cleanup point of view (looks for deadlocks, etc.)

It runs at the lowest priority, and so will get cycles when nothing else is requesting CPU attention. So if you are not doing anything, then it is perfectly normal for it to have high CPU usage.

Thanks

I do still have problems with identifying processes or what is causing the HIGH CPU usage when I am doing simple operations like writing an email, or switching between programmes.

I am not a high user, or multitask often, but the computers Norton System Doctor brings up CPU usage alarm, consistently.

Are there anyways of Identifying, or scanning the sytem for any abnormalities?

I have recently De fragged, Speed disked (norton),adaware.

I dont know how to diagnose my computers problems?

Any suggestions.

I run XP on an old P3 450mhz, 256 Ram, 15 gb hard drive.

bertiecharlie 15:14 05 May 04

click here to identify your processes.

Regards.

FANTASTIC LINK, AND REALLY HELPFUL.
Thanks
It may just show some of the CPU usage I have been pulling my hair out about.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…