high number of access attempts

whitelady 01:46 31 Aug 03

Hi, I have got zonealarm installed, I usually have a look at it each day. There hasn't been any access attempts since I started using it in June. Tonight however there has been over 9000 access attempts and rising what should I do. I know that zonealarm is doing it's job but I can't help feeling abit worried

hugh-265156 02:04 31 Aug 03

you say there has been no access attempts for over two months and all of a sudden you get 9000 odd,very strange?

so long as its blocking them i would not worry too much,most are harmless.

check your firewall click here scroll down about halfway and run all the tests in the services box.if your status is stealth and you have no open ports then just let zonealarm get on with it and turn off the alert warnings.

whitelady 02:28 31 Aug 03

thanks just completed the tests, status is stealth. That has made me feel a bit easier.

pc moron 02:38 31 Aug 03

Try the tests with your firewall turned off.

Same result?

hugh-265156 04:44 31 Aug 03

what do you mean by same result?.

i ran all the tests(first three) just to check myself.with my firewall on(antignum outpost)

file sharing:Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

common ports:all stealth,Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet ? solicited or otherwise ? was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests = pass

all service ports:all stealth as above = pass

then with the firewall off:

file sharing: Preliminary Internet connection established!Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.

common ports:135,139,1025 are open and the rest are closed.Solicited TCP Packets: RECEIVED (FAILED) Unsolicited Packets: PASSED Ping Reply: RECEIVED (FAILED) = fail

all service ports:as above 135,139,1025 are open and the rest are closed. = fail

pc moron 12:14 31 Aug 03

I mean I get exactly the same result for all the tests whether I have my firewall on or off.

According to click here
, your PC should be able to pass all of these tests without a firewall- see "Making Your PC Secure Online, Part 2".

artist 14:43 31 Aug 03

Well, I can't see what that test is proving. I did it with everything activated - ZA, AVG and ad aware - then with everything off. No difference at all.

Surely there should have been?

dth 14:52 31 Aug 03

What port are the probes being repoted against? Is it remote port 2793?

hugh-265156 15:19 31 Aug 03

i just read the part 1 & 2 article,cant see where it says that?the way i read it,it says grc.com is an excellent site.

artist,i dont know why you get the same result with your firewall on or off,do you have windows xp?maybe the built in firewall is enabled aswell?.my results are completely different.with the firewall on all ports are stealth.with it off most are reported as closed but visable and 135,139,1025 are open.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…