High CPU usage, even after reinstall

Johnnieee 07:02 04 May 06

Hello there!,

I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to what this problem might be. A friends computer's CPU load is unusally high even when the system is idle. The system is running very slowly and takes an age to open folders etc. Looking at the Windows Task manager, the "system idle process" entry is rapidly fluctuating between 70 and 90. On the exisiting hard drive I ran the major spyware programs, reg cleaners, optimizers etc, and the still the problem remained. I then installed my hardrive, which runs fine on my PC, and the CPU usuage was again high when the system was idle. I reinstalled my hard drive back on my PC and there again was no problem.

I have an idea that the problem is some sort of driver/ conflict problem between the motherboard and the components. Is anyone able to recommend a way of tracking this down? Could there be a fault in the Bios?

Hoping you maybe able to help me,

Thank you,
John :-)

FatboySlim71 09:43 04 May 06

Is your friends a CUBE branded PC, cause I had the exact same problem with a CUBE branded PC that I used to own. The PC would be fine one moment the next I would notice it being slow and unresponsive, if I then checked in the task manager to see if any program/service was causing it, there would be no indication to what was causing it. I have read a few things about CUBE apparantly sending out PC's with out of date drivers and BIOS's, just in case your friends PC is a CUBE, this would be one avenue to look down.

Johnnieee 09:53 04 May 06

Thank you for your reply. It is not a CUBE branded PC, but I agree that the fault may lie with the drivers or BIOS. Thanks again :-)
John.

rmcqua 09:54 04 May 06

Try disabling system devices, one at a time, in control panel to see which (if any) removes the excessive CPU load.

Johnnieee 10:02 04 May 06

Excellant idea. I will try that when I go there next........ probably this evening or tomorrow. Thank you.
John

ruskle 16:13 04 May 06

I have just checked my Task Manager and the "System Idle Process" entry is showing 99% but my system was flying along before I stopped working to check it, is it showing high because the System is Idle, if so that shouldn't slow down the PC.

Ruskle

Johnnieee 17:15 04 May 06

When it says the system idle processes are 99, and the actual CPU usage is 0%, then things are how they should be. It is when the computer is not running any progams, apart from essential system ones, and the system idle processes are fluctuating between 70 and 90 and the CPU is usage is showing a high load, that there is some problem. I have swapped the hard disk, with one that I know is ok, and still the problem exists. As "rmcqua" suggested, I will try disabling devices one by one to try and find the culprit this way.
Thank you for your feedback though. :-)
John

skidzy 20:49 04 May 06

Except System Idle Process,does task manager not show you what is hogging the cpu ?

Also have you tried running the system in safe mode to see if this responds the same way.

Has there been any recent software installation,if so...maybe uninstalling the program may help if this is the case.

How about recent MS updates,i seem to have read somewhere that some of the recent updates are causing problems.

Johnnieee 21:50 04 May 06

Hi there,

Thank you for help. I have brought the base unit back to my house and is now going like a whistle. The only things different is that the monitor, printer, keyboard and mouse are not the same as I am using my own. I guess the problem must be to be do with these input devices, which has narrowed it down considerably. I'll go there tomorrow and disable these devices one by one until I find the culprit and then try and find new drivers for it.

Thank you again for all your help,
John

phono 21:55 04 May 06

Bookmarked.

remind 21:58 04 May 06

Get this for better info than Windows task manager
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…