High CPU Temps + Loud Fan - How can I fix it?

technicbuff 21:43 31 May 15

AMD Phenom 9850 Quad 2.5 Ghz Stock Heatsink and Fan 4 GB Ram (800 MHz) Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit Integrated graphics 1920 x 1080 21" Samsung Syncmaster 2494SW

This computer was running Linux as a server, and then put into storage. Our family was in need of an additional computer so I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows 7. We've been using the computer for about two weeks.

Speedfan is showing that fan 1 (CPU fan) is constantly spinning at between 5400 and 5500 rpm (which looks like the maximum speed, I've never had a computer be this loud before.

According to Speedfan, CPU temperature is around 43 degrees idle, and up to 60 degrees with load (50%+ usage). However, if I go into BIOS the temperature readings tend to be higher; around 50 degrees idle, maybe 70 degrees with high usage.

When playing a HD youtube video, cpu usage howvers between 10 - 40% usage. Concurrently I get the following readings:

Sensor Source Temperature (Celsius) HD0 (hard drive) 42 CPU 55 MB (motherboard) 46 Core 57

Half an hour later, under idle conditions, I get similar readings.

I ran the windows 'experience index' test along with the youtube HD video and CPU usage shot up to 100% for about 30 seconds. During this time, CPU temperature reached 80 (!) and core temperature was reading almost 90 degrees.

Running Asus' 'Cool and Quiet' program doesn't seem to affect fan operation at all. There are no controls for fan speed in the BIOS. I am concerned I may be running an outdated version of the BIOS, as it has 2009 copyright date. The computer was bought around 2011.

rdave13 21:57 31 May 15

Have you opened the case (both sides) and checked the level of dust on all of the hardware, including the CPU's heatsink? Use a new, small, artists brush and gently brush the dust away while holding a vacuum nozzle nearby to remove. Keep particular attention to the CPU's cooler fins. Make sure you don't get any fans spinning if you hold the vac's nozzle too close.

wee eddie 22:54 31 May 15

I agree with *rdave13 * but I don't think that I would be quite as delicate.

A half inch natural bristle paint brush and a hair dryer would be my tools of choice. You may need to take the Graphics Card cover off and even the fan off the CPU'S Heat Exchanger so that you can make sure that the airflow is clear

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…