high cpu and ram usage plus fan constantly running

michaeldavidavery 11:36 05 Dec 14

Help needed! recently my Dell xpsl502x laptop has started behaving different from normal. 1st the RAM usage went up to above 50% then a few days later the fan started running hard and now the cpu usage has increased from the normal 4% to 35%. I've run avast deep scan (found conduit-d (PUP)) and automatically placed in chest. run avast startup scan. installed and run ccleaner. installed and run adwcleaner. Still have problem..

Any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks Mike

PS - How do i copy task manager and system details into msg so you guys can see whats going on, tried print screen and paste..?

michaeldavidavery 11:53 05 Dec 14

thanks Jock1e, will try those out

CPU usage in order:- System idle process 70% mftutil.exe 20% wmiprvse.exe 5% rubyw.exe *32 01%

although above are constantly fluctuating

michaeldavidavery 12:51 05 Dec 14

Update

installed and run trial version of Malwarebytes which:-

blocked outbound rubyw.exe several times (msg popped up from system tray)

Scan detected and quarantined

PUP.Optional.Spigot.A PUP.Optional.OpenCandy PUP.Optional.Downloadsponsor PUP.Optional.Downloadsponsor (1)

restarted machine and still high usages

will install and run hitman pro and report back

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:55 05 Dec 14

rubyw.exe can be a virus / malware if not located in the system32 folder

Its not even running on my pc which is only using 1% cpu at present.

mftutil.exe is part of Avast which can cause a problem on W8.1 see click here

michaeldavidavery 14:29 05 Dec 14

update

Installed and run Hitman pro which found and deleted 2 tracking cookies - doubleclick.net and xti.com

Restarted machine and it still has same symptoms

Running windows 7 home premium

michaeldavidavery 17:15 05 Dec 14

Problem turned out to be with latest release of Avast 2015 see https//forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=157998.15

Disabling NG from Avast settings (quite difficult to locate but found it using ccleaner to uninstall Avast, you then get an option to change settings and uncheck the box by 'NG') Not sure what NG does but turning it off stopped my high cpu usage and fan running constantly...

many thanks to those above for the assistance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…