Hiding page numbers in a Word document

Sea Urchin 11:37 AM 08 Mar 12

When inserting page numbers in the footer of a Word doc it is possible to not show the first number, and also to hide either the odd or even numbers. But is there a way to hide individual page numbers throughout the document while maintaining the sequence of numbers?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:57 AM 08 Mar 12
  Woolwell 12:01 PM 08 Mar 12

I haven't done it but I think that it is possible using sections. For example series of numbers in first section, no numbers in second section, numbers commencing with x or carry on in third section.

Sea Urchin 12:47 PM 08 Mar 12

Thank you for those replies - I shall work my way though the link

Sea Urchin 09:45 AM 09 Mar 12

Rather than splitting the document into section breaks and playing with the page numbering in the footer (which got very complicated with the number of hidden pages!) I have adopted a different approach.

Using auto-shapes I created a small rectangular "patch" and formatted it as "no colour" so that it became like an invisible sticking plaster. I then worked through the document and pasted the "patch" over each page number I wanted hidden. This leaves the page numbering intact without the necessity of having to refer from one section to the next and so on.

Worked for me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This 4K screen is purpose-built for showcasing digital art

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know