Hiding e mail addresses

Micklemass 11:57 20 Jul 05

I want to send a multiple address e mail but hide the addresses.

Have tried on Outlook using the Bcc for addressing which works but shows the e mail from myself to myself and does get to all the addresses. Has caused confusion as folk think it wasn't meant for them.

olddick 16:52 20 Jul 05

You are not making much sense, what exactly are you trying to do, send an email to yourself but your mates get it??

Micklemass 17:01 20 Jul 05

No I have a lot of contacts to send the sasme e mail to. I didn't want all of them to see each others e mail adresses. When I use the instructions below the e mail is received by all 23 addresses but the sender and recipient is shown as myself. Hope that's a little clearer. This made some of them wonder why they had an e mail addressed to me.

On the Outlook help pages it says to use the Blind copy as below

Send a message without the recipient's name showing

In a message, click To.
In the Type name or select from list box, type the name or click Advanced, and then click Find.
In the Name list, click the name, and then click Bcc (Bcc: An abbreviation for blind carbon copy. If you add a recipient's name to this box in a message, a copy of the message is sent to that recipient, and the recipient's name is not visible to other recipients of the message.).
Click Send

rawprawn 17:19 20 Jul 05

To the best of my knowledge when you send an email to muliple addresses and use bcc for them, the only address shown to recpients is the original "TO" address so if you send it to yourself they will only see your address.altough you will see them all.
Please someone correct me if I am mistaken.

rawprawn 17:22 20 Jul 05

I have just tested it by sending an email to both of my addresses with one bcc. I cannot see the other.

Micklemass 17:36 20 Jul 05

Also just tried several of my own addresses with same results. Perhaps I could always start the message with a note about the format. It's all a matter of confidentiallity and saving sending 23 separate e mails.

Thanks for checking that out though

Fellsider 19:14 20 Jul 05

I've just tried this (using Outlook Exp):

Don't put any address in either the 'To' or 'Cc' fields and put all the addresses in 'Bcc'.

The result that I got was that it shows 'Undisclosed-Recipient:;' in the 'To' field but the originator in the 'From' field.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…