hide a partition

Kingdom.B 19:28 20 Jun 09

I have just bought a new laptop and using Acronis I split the C drive into two 200gb partitions.
I want to backup the main partiton onto the new partiton (E). I know from previous experience that if I ever have to use the recovery discs I made the C drive witll revert to one big partition again.
Can I hide the E partition from the recovery dics or am I better saving the backup on an external HD?
I made a second recovery set of discs after I had made the E partiton and installed all my software, data and files on the main drive, the second recovery took three discs and the original only two. If I every do a recovery from the second set will it leave the E partition intact and will C partition contain all the original data etc?

Thanks in advance.

KB.

mgmcc 19:37 20 Jun 09

Presumably you used Acronis *DISK DIRECTOR* to split the hard drive into two partitions?

Do you also have Acronis *TRUE IMAGE*, because that will let you back up your smaller "C" drive to the new "E" partition. You can then restore that backup to your "C" drive. If you keep the Acronis image file created immediately after splitting the drive, you shouldn't need to use the recovery disks in the event of requiring a "reinstall". Having said that, you should keep that particular backup in external media, so that it can still be restored in the event of hard drive failure.

Kingdom.B 20:14 20 Jun 09

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have TRUE IMAGE, it is on the full Acronis suite along with DIRECTOR.
I have also made a boot file on a USB pen drive.

Why I ask about hiding the partiton from the recovery discs is that I was a bit concerned about having to use the discs in case of a mighty crash but I do remember changing the hard drive on my other laptop and using the Acronis backup I made on an external HD all worked out OK.

I think I will trust my second partiton backup.
Only problem is if the HD goes belly up terminaly.
Then again all my data is also backup up to DVD's and the software will reinstall.
Belt an braces comes to mind.

thanks again.

KB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…