hide the icons on desk top

hubdean 17:55 26 Jul 05

is there a way to hide the icons on my desk top
i have win xp home

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:02 26 Jul 05
  Graham ® 18:03 26 Jul 05

Create a new folder and drag them all in. You may not shift the Recycle Bin.

hubdean 18:08 26 Jul 05

thanks

Brumas 22:41 26 Jul 05

I like my desktop to be clutter-free when it opens so all I have is 4”x4” image of the coat of arms of the East Riding of Yorkshire on a plain light grey background, no icons at all just the taskbar at the bottom, all very nice and soothing with no distractions.

What I have done is as follows (I’m afraid I cannot take credit for this – when my friendly computer expert set up my first computer, this is what he did so I just replicate the process each time I need to reformat)

I create two new folders on the (C) drive numbered 1 and 2. I drag or create short-cuts to the hard drive, My Computer, Control Panel, My Documents, Recycle Bin, Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Word, Connect to Broadband MailWasher , PaintShopPro, AutoRoute, CCleaner, My Mah Jongg game etc. onto the desktop.
I then right-click the taskbar and select/toolbars/new toolbar. Navigate to new folder number 1 click ok, unlock the taskbar and drag the new toolbar to the left side of the screen, make it like a one inch vertical strip and release it. Right-click the new toolbar and make sure ‘always on top’ and ‘auto-hide’ are ticked. Repeat the process for new folder number 2 only this time drag it to right-hand side of the screen. I then drag all my short-cuts onto the new toolbars from the desktop (temporarily uncheck the auto-hide whilst you do this)
Right-click the desktop, untick the ‘show desktop icons’ options and lo and behold all you should now have is a clear desktop with or without a ’tasteful’ image of your choice and no clutter. When you need to access any of the aforementioned programs just flick the cursor to either the left or the right, the toolbar – like a curtain should appear with your icons, come away from the side and they will be hidden again.

ethelene 23:01 26 Jul 05

I right click on a blank part of the desktop - select 'arrange icons by' and click 'hide icons'.

Bingo - all icons gone, but easily retrieved.

Or is this not what you mean?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…