hide email address on website

kindly 22:46 21 Jul 07

Hi everyone. I have a website and on it I would like to put a "contact me" box somewhere. I dont want my email address showing. Can you please advise how to do this. Quiet a while ago a did get a bit of advise of how to do it but cannot find that paticular thread. thanks in advance.

brundle 23:56 21 Jul 07

Obfuscate; click here
ASCII codes; click here
Neither are particularly effective from what I've heard.
Perhaps a form which generates an email via PHP would be less prone to spam? Plenty of examples; click here
Sorry I can't be more specific, I'm only just learning this kind of thing myself

robgf 02:38 22 Jul 07

The safest method is to use an image of your email address.
The disadvantage is that visitors will need to type your address in.
But I use this method on my web site and no-one has ever complained.
You can link the image to a mailto tag, so that their email program opens, when they click on the image.
Mine says ***Please enter my address here*** in the "to" box, when it opens.

Or you can use an email scrambler, such as these two freewares:
click here
click here

Rob. :)

kindly 10:31 22 Jul 07

A few things there for me to look at. Also a few things to learn aswell. The info is what I am looking for I think. cheers

SimpleSimon1 10:27 23 Jul 07

Guys

Further to the above, as the search spiders become more intelligent, they seem to be able to cope with html-based scramblers. Consequently, a lot of the scramblers seem to be using a Javascript mechanism, as well.

If you access such a page with a Javascript-disabled browser, does this stop a Javascript-obscured e-mail link from being successfully used or can the browser still decipher the obscured e-mail address?

Cheers

robgf 02:15 24 Jul 07

If you have Javascript disabled in your browser, a scrambled email using Javascript wont work.

I wouldn't have thought that it would be a great problem, as most people browse with Javascript enabled, simply because a large proportion of modern sites "break" without it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video