A hidden partition?

trisha01 12:45 30 Dec 06

Yet another question from me...

Turned pc on, AVG anti spyware launched into a full scheduled scan, towards the end of this long scan just caught on screen something like 'Error reading drive J' Didn't know I had a drive J, and can't 'see' it anywhere. At the end of the scan it just said something like no threats etc.

Ran Belarc Advisor and I have drive C: 76.62 gig, drive D: 77.12 gig. so is the missing 6.26 gig (it's a 160 gig hard drive) drive J? Why can't I see it? is it anything to bother about?

thanks

VoG II 12:48 30 Dec 06

It is quite common for recovery software to be installed on a hidden partition - that way you can't delete it 'by accident'. If your PC has instructions for restoring to the condition it was in when it left the factory, that's probably what the hidden partition is.

left click on my computer should bring up all the drives including DVD or CDrom & A: drive all with letters check this and you should be able to identify all the drives on your PC
Normally belarc does not find DVD etc drives simply your hard drives
option 2 go to device manager scroll down to the varies drives see if any has a yellow ? mark then find the driver from the item CD

VOG is also right you always have a hidden 8mb drive where the bios etc is kept safe from fingers

Strawballs 15:24 30 Dec 06

kellysbouncas Bios is not on hard drive it is a program written onto a chip on the motherboard, the partion that VoG™ spoke of is the operating system and applications that the PC came pre-installed on, you access it by pressing F2 on start up or through system tools etc depending on the maker.

trisha01 19:45 30 Dec 06

Thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…