Hidden links

dondd 03:57 28 Apr 05

I have Windows XP Home Edition. I recently installed the Google desktop search program. It has found links to financial and business sites I visited years ago. The "show all hidden files" setting is on in my computer, but the windows search program cannot find them. I regularly clear the temp, temporary internet, and history files,so they don't show up there. Yet obviously they are still on my hard drive. Where are they hiding? How do I access them, other than through Google desktop search? I would appreciate guidance.

wiz-king 06:51 28 Apr 05

You cant easily, files are not memoved from the hard drive when you 'delete' a file, the room that the file takes up is just marked so that it can be written over at some time in the future. You can get software that will write over all so called blank spaces on the drive but most people dont have it - or want it. The google program is going to cause a lot of people headaches in that respect.

Taff36 07:00 28 Apr 05

click here Excellent programme that will delete all your Most Recently Used lists everywhere on your computer. Not sure if it gets rid of your problem but it mentions Internet plug in. Will check for you later.

octal 07:14 28 Apr 05

It could be picking up rubbish in your index.dat file. I used to use a program called Spider to clear out all the junk on my Windows 98SE click here , but I'm not sure if it will work on Windows XP. This program looks like it will do a similar job: click here and it says on the tin it will work in XP

dondd 14:51 29 Apr 05

Thanks to wiz-king, taff36, and octal for your responses. I have Spider, but it misses these links. I've now tried MRU Blaster, but those old links still show up on Google Desktop Search, complete with thumbnails, and still connect to the sites if they're still up. In any event,if I want to truly delete, overwrite, or whatever, the actual files, MRU Blaster says it can't do that. What's really puzzling is why only Desktop Search can find them. I would have thought they would show up in one of the temp or temporary internet files, if nowhere else. They don't. I'm still working on this.

VoG II 15:03 29 Apr 05

Try CleanUp! click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…