'Hidden' Hard Drive Space

Russ100 09:14 28 Oct 03

I'm working on a PC (W2K Pro) which has a 60gb HDD. The O.S. is installed on a 10gb partition (C drive)and 20gb has been set up as a 'data' drive (D drive).

The remaining 30g has not been allocated a drive letter, so is not 'visible' as such.

I need the extra HDD capacity. How do I set about making the extra 30gb available?

I've got Partition Magic 8.0 - if that's any help.

Hope someone can help.

Quiller. 10:08 28 Oct 03

If you go to start and then right click my computer. In the drop down box pick manage.

A new window will appear. Pick disk management on the lower left hand side and double click this. A window on the right hand side will open with your hard disk and it's partitions. Go to the one that has not been allocated a drive letter and right click it. You will then find the tools you need to make it active and to assign a drive letter.

Russ100 10:40 28 Oct 03

Simple as that eh?

It's just busy formatting the new 'F' drive now. Will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your assistance bsod.

Russ100 11:00 28 Oct 03

I've succesfully set up the new F drive to use up the unallocated space.

As the PC is on a network, how do I set it up so that the new drive is accessible to the other PC's on the network?

Quiller. 12:22 28 Oct 03

Try

go to my computer and double click. Select the new partition with a right click, go down to sharing and security. Open up the sharing tab.

You will get a warning. Click on it. Now put a tick in the sharing over a network box.

You can now manage the new drive over a network.

Glad to help.

Russ100 15:27 16 Jan 04

A belated thanks bsod. It was rude of me not to have responded sooner. I'd forgotten about this posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch