'Hidden' Hard Drive Space

Russ100 09:14 28 Oct 03

I'm working on a PC (W2K Pro) which has a 60gb HDD. The O.S. is installed on a 10gb partition (C drive)and 20gb has been set up as a 'data' drive (D drive).

The remaining 30g has not been allocated a drive letter, so is not 'visible' as such.

I need the extra HDD capacity. How do I set about making the extra 30gb available?

I've got Partition Magic 8.0 - if that's any help.

Hope someone can help.

Quiller. 10:08 28 Oct 03

If you go to start and then right click my computer. In the drop down box pick manage.

A new window will appear. Pick disk management on the lower left hand side and double click this. A window on the right hand side will open with your hard disk and it's partitions. Go to the one that has not been allocated a drive letter and right click it. You will then find the tools you need to make it active and to assign a drive letter.

Russ100 10:40 28 Oct 03

Simple as that eh?

It's just busy formatting the new 'F' drive now. Will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks for your assistance bsod.

Russ100 11:00 28 Oct 03

I've succesfully set up the new F drive to use up the unallocated space.

As the PC is on a network, how do I set it up so that the new drive is accessible to the other PC's on the network?

Quiller. 12:22 28 Oct 03

Try

go to my computer and double click. Select the new partition with a right click, go down to sharing and security. Open up the sharing tab.

You will get a warning. Click on it. Now put a tick in the sharing over a network box.

You can now manage the new drive over a network.

Glad to help.

Russ100 15:27 16 Jan 04

A belated thanks bsod. It was rude of me not to have responded sooner. I'd forgotten about this posting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…