Hidden Folders

Mike Dom 09:04 25 Jan 10

I happened to look in previously Hidden Folder 'Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data' and noticed there were lots of files from programs that I had previously removed from the pc, or at least thought I had fully removed. Can I delete these files or not?

Diemmess 09:31 25 Jan 10

Folders and files in Application Data are hidden by default to protect the user from ill-advised meddling.

If you are sure that there are folders there which you thought you had removed, it might cause problems if you simply delete them as they stand.

First use the Add/remove programs in control panel to make sure they have been removed (they won't show).
Next, run CCleaner and see what that does.

If you still find stray ones there, they are probably quite small size and causing no harm.

Now you can simply delete them if you must, but it would be wise to have a full system backup first!

gengiscant 09:53 25 Jan 10

Add and remove is not the best program for removing unwanted programs and the stuff they leave behind.
Use something like Revo uninstaller (free) or Innovative Advance Uninstaller Pro (paid for) they will remove most of the files left behind by add and remove or the programs own uninstaller.

Mike Dom 07:59 26 Jan 10

I shall leave well alone, thanks for the advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant