Hidden files in winxp?

emmos 13:23 29 Jan 03

I visit various newsgroups in outlook express, in win98 it was relatively easy to delete them when the files got too big, but in winxp I am unable to find them to delete them, does anybody out there know where they are hidden. Dave

spikeychris 13:43 29 Jan 03

Which files are you talking about?

Chris

spikeychris 14:40 29 Jan 03

Are you trying to find where the deleted emails live when you have emptied the deleted mail folder?

If so, as you probably know when you delete an email and the empty the deleted folder it hasn't been removed from your computer, type .dbx into search and it will bring up all your deleted emails that you have not compacted.

Delete the mail from here but be carefull not to delete any other folders you have created.

Chris

emmos 14:56 29 Jan 03

When you subscribe to a newsgroup and download the headers it creates a file which resides somewhere on your computer, as you d/l more obviously the files eventually get bigger and the more newsgroups you subscribe to the more files are created I wish to delete these periodically but am unable to find their whereabouts in xp.Dave

jazzypop 15:01 29 Jan 03

click here - note the info box for XP users in the top right corner.

jazzypop 15:04 29 Jan 03

"To increase disk space by deleting stored newsgroup messages

On the Tools menu, click Options.

On the Maintenance tab, select the options you want for maintaining the size of all message files on your computer.

To compact, delete, or remove messages from all or specific message files now, click Clean Up Now, and then follow the instructions on the screen."

From The Outlook Express 6 Help File

spikeychris 15:20 29 Jan 03

As per my first post >>> just find the .dbx in search for files and folders....the link from JP states "On WindowsXP, the OE user files, including *.wab and *.dbx files, are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View."

An easier way is under advanced options in search tick the box "search hidden files and folders"

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…