Hidden drive

TomG 21:53 18 May 04

I have an external drive connected to a laptop running win 2k. I can access the drive from my computer on the laptop but when I try and access the drive from another pc on my wireless network it is not seen.

In properties for the drive although share is ticked I note after the drive letter there is a dollar sign which means the drive is hidden.

How do I un-hide the drive?

Smegs 22:14 18 May 04

Bump

TomG 07:06 19 May 04

? not sure I understnd the answer?

Rigga 08:13 19 May 04

Create a new share for the drive with a non $name.

TomG 12:03 19 May 04

Thanks

I've tried that and fiddled with the permissions but still the same problem

Rigga 08:16 20 May 04

So you can see the laptop on the network? and you can share a different drive, say the C drive, from that laptop across the network?

If both of those answers are yes, then I'm a bit stumped as to what would be the problem. As sharing should be the same regardless of whether the Drive is external or not.

If you cannot share a different drive from that laptop then post back.

TomG 08:40 20 May 04

I've sorted it

What I did was change the external drive letter from E to F. I found then that I could see it on the network (and write to it). I then changed the drive letter back to E and had the same success?

Life is a mystery

Smegs 10:57 20 May 04

TomG, well done, and thanks for telling us how you did it. I only did "BUMP" to get your thread back to the top of the page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…