Hidden Backups

Brianarth 16:11 10 May 14

I normally backup to an external drive but have somehow managed to put the backup on to drive C, not once but twice. The drive now has 60GB instead of the original 20GB. I would like to delete the two false backups but have been unable to find them. Clicking on the drive in Computer simply shows files totaling 20GB but the next backup to the external drive needed 60GB and took a much longer than usual. It is a bit weird, which may mean that I am missing something simple but I would appreciate your help.

john bunyan 17:04 10 May 14

I have found Treesize (Free) useful; it gives all folder sizes. You sometimes have to re- launch it as administrator to see some folders. Another possibility is restore points. Have you set up the amount of space that C drive is allowed to use? See:

Treesize

and

Restore point customisation

john bunyan 17:05 10 May 14

PS CCleaner (assuming you have it) has a useful feature to delete individual restore points

Brianarth 18:20 11 May 14

I have installed Treesize, as an administrator. It shows a total of 60GB on the drive, made up of Windows 20GB, Users 18GB and 22GB for the rest. Each of these figures being three times what they should be! The only restore points shown are the ones on the external drive, no sign of the rogue ones. Confirmed by CCleaner. Presumably I can restore to an earlier time, about a month ago, that should do the trick.

john bunyan 19:41 11 May 14

Rather than restoring I would look at the Users folder. CCleaner should get rid of browsing etc but there are ways of putting users more permanent stuff on you data drive. See :

I tried t post a link but PCA decided it was spam! Google How to move User Data to another Partition

john bunyan 19:45 11 May 14

PS my user data is 6 GB- I moved some items to my data drive, such as Photoshop Bridge cache etc. Tomorrow I will send another link about potential issues with Media Player as sometimes hidden files there can be a real pain.

john bunyan 19:47 11 May 14

Here it is !

Thread re Media player

Brianarth 19:57 11 May 14

Interesting, thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…