Hibernation and stand-by problems

donald59 21:21 16 Jun 07

I have tried all the usuals things you are supposed to do to make my computer go into hibernatrion or stand-by mode, but it only does it every now and again. I have a Toshiba 3300m and normally when it works it's fine Anyone out there got any suggestions as to how to overcome this niggling little problem please?

Donald59

Stuartli 21:49 16 Jun 07

Check whether the option is Enabled in the Bios - mine includes an Auto choice, otherwise select S3.

You should also check from Power Options in Control Panel that Hibernate is set up correctly.

Stuartli 21:50 16 Jun 07

If S3 is already selected, choose S1.

But this does depend on how your Bios deals with this area.

donald59 10:55 17 Jun 07

Ok, can you tell me how I get into the BIOS so that I can make the changes you suggest. Please let me know as chapter and verse. I have downloaded the latest BIOS update from Toshiba, but dont know how to install this.

anskyber 10:57 17 Jun 07

Do you have a wireless keyboard or mouse? If so they can often fool the PC into thinking it's still active.

donald59 11:06 17 Jun 07

No is the answer to your question. I am wired up in reference to cables all over the show, but I do not as of yet have the standard wireless set-up.I would appreciate more help on the matter in question so that I can resolve this fairly swiftly.

Donald.

Stuartli 11:22 17 Jun 07

Depending on which brand of Bios software you have (AMI, Award or whatever) you will have to press the Delete button or similar when you boot up.

The screen will/should state which to do to go into Setup.

In the Bios, check for ACPI, Power Management or, again, similar wording and check that it is Enabled (you use the Plus/Minus key on the numeric section to change the values.

If you are satisfied that you have done it correct use Esc to go back one step and then the F10 button - Save and Exit and the laptop should then continue to bootup.

Recheck the Hibernate settings are correct in Control Panel.

Stuartli 11:28 17 Jun 07

If you don't know how to update the Bios then I would respectfully suggest that you leave well alone.

If you get it wrong then you'll probably have a kaput laptop...:-(

Do you have a manual? If not it should be available here:

click here

dewskit 11:32 17 Jun 07

I find that if I have not connected to the Broadband connection, the computer will shut down into hibernate mode in a few minutes, this requires a power on then a sign in.
If however the ADSL connection is live, then it will not go into hibernate mode, although it will require waking up with the keyboard or mouse

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…