Hibernation not possible

myfoot 18:49 29 Dec 05

Have lost the use of the "Hibernate" option since re-installing and applying SP2. ( that is my feeling as to when the problem started.) I did have the use of it before the install. I get the attached message when I try to activate it. If somebody could help point in the right direction, would be grateful. I have 20Gb HD and 512Mb of RAM. "Power policy Manager unable to reserve hibernate file --
The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." "
rgds
myfoot

Stuartli 18:56 29 Dec 05

You may have to reconfigure your APCI settings in the Bios. Check the motherboard manual first for actual details.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:50 29 Dec 05

In control panel, make sure that system files are visible (under view I think)

reboot into safe mode, find a file called "hyberfil.sys" and delete it.

Reboot into normal mode and try activating hibernation again. If it doesn't work then, do you have Alcohol 120% installed?

woodchip 22:23 29 Dec 05

Try SFC /SCANNOW with xp cd in comp

myfoot 18:48 30 Dec 05

Thanks for the replies.
Tried sfc /scannow( anybody doing this don't forget the space before the slash)
I have a laptop with hibernation working and neither this or desktop have hiberfil.sys or alternate spelling hyberfil.sys, have included hidden and system files in search criteria.
as I've not altered BIOS don't know what I shuld alter there.

Interestingly when I started in "safe mode" I had 3 user accounts normally there is only 2. Have'nt seen this before.
rgds
myfoot

woodchip 18:56 30 Dec 05

This May Help!!! click here

rdave13 18:57 30 Dec 05

Even though hibernation is disabled in power options I can still go to hibernate via my wireless keyboard.

ade.h 19:50 30 Dec 05

Advanced power options need to be enabled in BIOS, but as Stuart rightly says, you need to read your manual for details. Get to know your BIOS inside out while you're at it.

The other thing to check is that your graphics card driver is correct, up to date and is not an unstable version. Remember when you first install an OS and the graphics card/display is being run on a Microsoft driver? Advanced power settings are unavailable at that point.

ade.h 19:52 30 Dec 05

And regarding user account sin Safe Mode; that's normal. There will be displayed the hidden Administrator account, which is different from an account that happens to have admin priviledges.

myfoot 20:12 31 Dec 05

Well instead of using the Windows Search machine with alll options ticked,and after finding out that "hiberfil.sys" is in the root of C:I unticked the in the Folders-View- "hide protected system files" and also chose to - " show hidden files" and sure enough I had a "hiberfil.sys" .I deleted it,( as suggested by Tasslehoff Burrf ))went back and things were looking good when it was
possible for me to check - enable hibernation - checkbox, (up to now not possible). Then I shut down and happily my hibernation option is available and working. rgds myfoot
P.S. Why won't the window search facility find the - hiberfil.sys - file???

Stuartli 20:49 31 Dec 05

Presumably because it was hidden.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…