Hibernation mode has disappeared (Windows XP Home)

Creditman 23:36 29 Jul 10

Suddenly I can no longer opt for hibernation instead of standby (by pressing & holding the up arrow key when selecting "standby")after doing this for years. What could have happened to cause this ? How can I restore the facility ? P.S. When I now select "standby", evrything shuts down - but within seconds its all on again, so I have no option but to select "turn off" which means I have to wait through the lengthy reboot procedure when I turn on agsin. Any ideas on this please ? The only change I have recently made is to disable my password function since I am the onlt user.

northumbria61 23:48 29 Jul 10

Control Panel-Power Options - under the Hibernate tab checkmark "Enable hibernation", click Apply/OK?

northumbria61 23:53 29 Jul 10

This may help - click here

Creditman 12:40 30 Jul 10

Thanks for suggestions, but after I click "enable Hibernation" , "apply" & "OK" &^ then return to that screen,"enable hibernation" has disappeared. In trying to down load the MS hotfix via the link you gave me, you must first accept the terms of the MS Service Agreement. But when I do this I am told to do it again & I am stuck in a loop ! So - any other ideas ? Thanks

northumbria61 14:58 30 Jul 10

You say it has happened suddenly - are you able to do a system restore PRIOR to when this occurred ?

Creditman 22:35 01 Aug 10

Pleased to say that everything has returned to normal since Friday, Thanks for your input.

northumbria61 22:58 01 Aug 10

Good news ! Remember to "tick" box and click resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac