hibernate doesn't work properly

ctm04 17:30 29 Apr 07

I have an HP Compag dx2200MT, running XP Pro,SP2, comodo firewall, avast. When I use hibernate the system shuts down as it is supposed to, but then starts up again virtually immediately. only after several hours will it shut down properly. Any suggestions of what I could do to fix this problem, I don't really want to have to return my pc and be without it for weeks. Many thanks.

Jackcoms 17:35 29 Apr 07

Are you permanently connected to the internet?

If so, the PC will never hibernate because there will always be activity via your internet connection which prevents hibernation. Try disconnecting and see what happens.

If this is not the case, I'll watch this thread with interest because I have a similar problem with my Dell laptop.

ctm04 17:45 29 Apr 07

I am, but we have 2 other pcs and a laptop on our home network and they do hibernate although we are all on the same broadband, only difference is that mine is wired and the others are connected via wireless.

Stuartli 17:46 29 Apr 07

My system is permanently connected to my ISP via a wired ADSL modem router and Hibernate works as it should.

You may need to alter the Bios for the correct ACPI setting (may be an Auto setting) and also that you have correctly configured Hibernate from Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate tab.

Jackcoms 17:53 29 Apr 07

"You may need to alter the Bios for the correct ACPI setting (may be an Auto setting)"

Interesting - please expand on that (a simple idiot's guide, please). ;-)

ctm04 18:04 29 Apr 07

Hibernate is properly set up, I am not sure about the Bios and ACPI setting, would like to find out more ... like Jackcoms. thanks

Stuartli 18:19 29 Apr 07

Try setting PnP in the Bios to No/Disabled (it's left permanently in this state for my XP Pro system).

The Power savings in my (AMI) Bios has an Auto setting for power management and well as the normal choices, but you may have to choose between S1 State and S3 State; choose S3 State but, if you have problems, switch to S1 State.

Also see: click here

Jackcoms 18:38 29 Apr 07

Thanks for that.

But, how on earth do you get into and/or change settings in the BIOS??

I have never ever touched the BIOS in my life! ;-(

ctm04 20:30 29 Apr 07

Thanks for the above information, will try that tomorrow and will let you know...

Stuartli 20:48 29 Apr 07

Then it might be better if you don't until you have a guiding hand by your side...:-)

Do you have a motherboard manual? If so it should provide details of how to get into the Bios and configuration/settings details.

Once you have successfully experienced delving into the Bios you will find it comes in handy on appropriate occasions.

Jackcoms 09:53 30 Apr 07

Point taken! ;-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant