Hibernate Button in Vista

prince midas 10:49 31 Jan 09

I seem to be getting a bigger hibernate file every week.It is now up to 3gig which seems a waste of space as I do a full image restore every week.Which means my image files are including a 3G hibernate file.
I can see no advantage in the Hibernate command, but if I do remove it, can I put it back at a later date and how easy is it to do this.Finally will my computor boot up as quick as before with hibernate not being there.Reason I say this is because I read somewhere that Hibernate saves settings to reduce startup time,is this worth keeping it for, or is it pie in the sky.

MAJ 11:49 31 Jan 09

The Hibernate file (hiberfil.sys) will be the same size as the amount of physical memory you have installed. It's one of the first things I get rid of as I have 3GB of RAM and so would have a 3GB hiberfil.sys file. To turn it off, go to Start > Run, type in:

CMD

and click OK. Then into the Command window, type:

powercfg -h off

and press the Return key and reboot your computer. You can turn it on again by opening a Command window and using the command:

powercfg -h on

press the Return Key and reboot.

prince midas 14:49 31 Jan 09

Thanks Maj did as you said and removed it no problem thanks again.

crosstrainer 14:54 31 Jan 09

It's really not worth keeping anyway, as hibernate won't work on quite a few motherboards.

And it helps save the planet by switching off properly :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple