Hiberfil conundrum

cocteau48 15:48 23 Jun 09

As I never use the hibernation facility (XP SP3)I decided to remove the hiberfil file in the approved manner via power options in the control panel - followed by a reboot.

This successfully removed the file (at just over 2GB)from my C root directory and should therefore,or so I thought, have reduced my disk usage from about 15GB to 13GB.

But no.... even though the hiberfil file had gone (apparently) my disk usage still was sitting at 15GB.

Not achieving the desired effect I then re-enabled the hibernation facility and to my amazement found that it had ADDED another 2GB to my disk usage which was now sitting at 17GB.

An Acronis image restore has returned me to square one but can anyone explain why the removal of the file is not having any effect on the disk usage figure?

Technotiger 16:25 23 Jun 09

Probably because you have not actually removed the file, just the Path/short-cut to it.

But I am only guessing!

cocteau48 16:41 23 Jun 09

Thanks,as always, Technotiger.

So far as I am aware deselecting in the manner which I described is the way to remove the file in its entirety (you cannot just delete it).... and if I have only removed the short-cut to it I have no idea where the actual file itself can be found.

Graphicool1 16:55 23 Jun 09

Did you do this...

1 - Start the Control Panel Power Options applet (go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, and click Power Options).

2 - Select the Hibernate tab, clear the "Enable hibernation" check box, then click OK;
Although you might think otherwise, selecting Never under the "System hibernates" option on the Power Schemes tab doesn't delete the hiberfil.sys file.

Windows will remove the "System hibernates" option from the Power Schemes tab and delete the hiberfil.sys file.

cocteau48 17:12 23 Jun 09

Thank you Graphicool1

Your instructions mirror exactly what I did.

I also made no alterations at all under the power schemes tab where my only options refer to :
turn off monitor
turn off hard disks
system standby

I have no "system hibernates" under the power scheme tab.

Graphicool1 17:14 23 Jun 09
  cocteau48 17:36 23 Jun 09

Graphicool1
I have already tried the CMD prompt option with no success but thanks for the link.

woodchip 18:29 23 Jun 09

Why not simply delete the HiberFil.sys in Windows explorer?

woodchip 18:30 23 Jun 09

In Power Options on the Hiber Tab just remove the tick in the box

cocteau48 20:00 23 Jun 09

woodchip

I have successfully removed the file ....the question was: why has my disk usage figure not dropped by the 2 GB that was the size of the hiberfil file removed?

woodchip 22:36 23 Jun 09

if you deleted it then its got to increase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant