Hi and thanks for your help, CD player problem!

WrathMaster2 15:39 04 Aug 05

I am installing a motherboard (fujitsu siemens, 3 years old, basic but good enough to use my P4 on as I used to do it before) 1gig of PC2700 RAM and CPU (P4 2.4) in my existing case.
I already have a CD player, HDD and FDD and a 240v power supply.
The problem is I cannot make the FDD or CD ROM drive work.
With the FDD I try running FDISK and I get "I/O error".
The CD ROM just won't boot up my Windows 2k install disc!
I think I need to setup both the FDD and CD ROM in the BIOS but I'm not sure how to do it.
CD ROM drive and FDD are both known to be in working order, since I had them working today on the other MOBO.

woodchip 15:46 04 Aug 05

First have you got the Ribbon cable the right way round red wire to Power plug. Next BIOS need to be set to 1.44 floppy, and CD drive to Auto both should be on the first page of BIOS

WrathMaster2 15:53 04 Aug 05

What do you mean by "red wire to power plug"?

De Marcus™ 16:05 04 Aug 05

a lot of ribbon cables have a red wire on one side which is to direct you in plugging the side with the red cable on closest to the power plug on the floppy

WrathMaster2 16:07 04 Aug 05

Yes I can confirm they are in the correct way.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 04 Aug 05

How to fit a CD/DVD Drive
click here

Floppy drive why run fdisk?

does floppy light come on then go out during boot?

is floppy drive controller (FDC) enabled in BIOS?

WrathMaster2 01:48 05 Aug 05

Hi again and thanks for the replys. I fixed it now. It was the jumpers they were incorrectly placed.
I was running trying to run fdisk to format a new partition to install windows 2k on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…