hi-speed usb controller

s99Raj 17:46 04 Sep 03

When I attach a device such as an external disk drive or external cd-writer I get a message saying that thhe USB storage device is a high speed USB device and will function at reduced speed, and that there are no high speed USB host controllers installed on my computer.

I'm running XP Professional and have installed Service Packs 1 and 1a, and I have also consulted Microsoft's Question Number 312370, but still get the same problem. I have also tried to update the USB drivers.

Anyone any other ideas? Cheers.

-pops- 17:55 04 Sep 03

You need USB2 ports installing.

-pops- 17:56 04 Sep 03

e.g. click here product # LN3683

mrdsgs 18:26 04 Sep 03

snap!

I have a very similar problem with a gigabyte ga7vaxp motherboard, xp pro service pack 1. It supposedly has usb 2.0 and when installed with windows updates, service packs and the motherboard drivers installed the usb 2.0 hub and enhanced host controller appear, BUT

when you plug in a usb 2.0 device you are told that,

"a high speed device is plugged into a low speed port and will therefore run at low speed". You are then advised to connect it to one of the 6 usb 2.0 ports instead. However same response on all 6, including the ones beneath ps2 sockets on rear plate.

i am baffled as i have downloaded up to date drivers, service pack etc. It is as if the usb 1.0 controller gets there first"

i would welcome any suggestions.

mrdsgs 19:52 04 Sep 03

bump

Jester2K II 19:57 04 Sep 03

Check the USB settings in the BIOS.

Saw an ASUS Board that had options to run the board at USB 1.1 or 2.0.

Also have you installed the Motherboard drivers??

s99Raj 21:28 04 Sep 03

It's a fairly new Dell Latitude C510 and the m/b drivers are definitely loaded. According to SiSoft Sandra I have USB 1.1, so I guess I'll buy a USB version 2 and see if it makes any difference. I cetainly hope so !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…