Hi speed USB connection

slangley 11:01 16 Jan 06

Hi, how can i tell for sure that my USB2.0 external HDD and USB2.0 pci card are connected and running at the correct speed? running windows XP pro. thanks

john-232317 13:38 16 Jan 06

You can tell if they are connected, the external HD will show up in my computer. Dont know how you can check speed though.

madPentium 13:38 16 Jan 06

In XP, it will warn you if a usb2 device is connected to a usb1 port.

rmcqua 13:44 16 Jan 06

There's an article in the most recent PCA which covers USB devices and, I think, references a utility that might help you. Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't have the mag. in front of me. I just remember seeing something.

warbo 13:54 16 Jan 06

HI, YOU CAN TEST HDD SPEED WITH "HDTACH" IM SURE ITS FREE DOWNLOAD OFF GOOGLE ETC. YOU WILL NOTICE A MARKED DROP IN SPEED COMPARED TO YOU ONBOARD HARD DRIVES, MY EXTERNAL RUNS MID 20S MEGA BITES PER SECOND WHEREAS IDE HDD GO MORE THAN DOUBLE THAT AND SATA EVEN MORE.
ALSO AS NOTE I HAVE FOUND CONECTING CASE MOUNTED FRON USB TO SOME MOBOS CAN RESULT IN THEY AND OTHER USB SLOWING DOWN TO 1.1, TRY DISCONECTING CASE ONES IF YOU SUSPECT THIS IS A PROB

john-232317 14:11 16 Jan 06

hit your capital key warbo ;-o

slangley 14:32 16 Jan 06

thanks for the comments, it's the speed of the USB connection that i'm interested in - is it running at approx. 480mbps or not? rmcqua's comment sounds intriguing!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5