hi my sons computer just went bang

sarah s 12:58 16 May 09

im not that tecnically minded so any advice appreciated

my son has a computer xp it has 2 hard drives one for the sole purpose of this train sim game he uses the pc for, he has autism and he dosnt like anyone touching his computer,

Ive been aware that it needed a blow out , it was starting to get loud and we have taken care to clean the inside while hes been at school

any ideas whats gone bang and will the hard drives be ok , hes quite happy all of a sudden for us to look at the pc , Id drather avoid pc world, thanks for reading

ambra4 13:05 16 May 09

“My son computer just went bang”

Is the computer still working or is it dead?

Check the power supply unit

DieSse 13:14 16 May 09

Yes - normally the only thing which would actually go "bang" is the Power Supply. Assuming it's a desktop system, the PSU is normally very, very easy to replace. The exact replacement you would need depends on the PC and it's age. If you let us know a little more, some replacements can be suggested.

You may be lucky and it's only the PSU - however you may be unlucky to varying degrees as to what else, if anything, may have gone. I've seen most possible situations, from just the PSU up to the PSU, the motherboard (main board), the hard drive, the CD drives, memory etc.

In other words it may be nothing more, or nearly everything more, and most situations in between.

The only way to find out what else is to test each part individually - if it's most other things it may be less expensive to buy a new tower. Unfortunately there's not going to be any way to tell you via here what has gone and what hasn't.

sarah s 15:00 16 May 09

hi it sorta died, ive had a word with someone who knows more than me and they think like u mention its the power but said i could be unlucky and could of fried the motherboard, its about 3 years old packard bell desktop , there is a local independant repair place i think i best take it too, (im not taking it to pcworld they seem to know less than the average teenager) I darnt risk messing around with it myself , im not bothered about anything except the second hard drive ,which has all this sim downloads on , ive been meaning to clean it recently while hes been at school , now its gone bang hes quite happy for me to touch all ive done is slide the side panel off, it or have anyone fix it,well one thing if its the fact that its the dust im sure he will be less fussy about it in future
thanks so much for replying

sarah s 15:10 16 May 09

if it was my own pc i really would have a go myself i just darnt risk this one , as hes been doing all these downloads for over a year

off this topic but a nightmare at the time my sisters laptop once seriously messed up and she sent it myway as i know a little bit she dosnt know anything regarding pcs, she had no recovery discs etc it had had about 4 years of rubbish put on by her kids so i thought start all over, and i knew she had an official xp disk , well i think i reformatted the whole thing took th OS off then when i put the xp disc in i realised it was an upgrade , i thought it was the full version ,LOL she never told me its what she bought to get it off millenium, lol so a freind who did have a disc copied me it (prob illigal ) so managed to sort it out in the end , shame that i no longer have that disk id really like xp on my laptop , or even both systems, however someone managed to break as in snap the disc , I think ill just buy a millenium or 98 disc and borrow my sisters upgrade , that was a right head sratcher till i noticed the word upgrade, lol

lotvic 15:32 16 May 09

I don't suppose it could be the fuse in the 3 pin plug? (you might be lucky)

"freind who did have a disc copied me it (prob illigal )"
no that's not illegal if she originally had XP ME and legal key. (it's the product key licence that you pay for. Not the CD.)

"borrow my sisters upgrade"
that would be illegal to use the same product key on more than one pc.

It wouldn't activate or validate. You would get the message that 'Key is already in use' and you were using a non genuine version.

Diemmess 16:02 16 May 09

You have the best chance of saving the 2nd HD if you feel up a short job with a screwdriver?

I suspect that the 2nd HD was added to your PC and not bought with it.
It is a data store and doesn't need to be in the computer circuits while drastic things are done!

So in brief:

1) Remove the side panel (left hand side at you look at it) These days, its usual to have just 2 screws at the back edge. Remove these and the panel should slide out backwards.

2) The tricky bit. Once you know which is the 2nd HD!!! remove it from the computer, or at least disconnect its two leads at the HD end.

3) Close up the case and take it to your repair shop, telling them what you have done.

woodchip 16:16 16 May 09

The Power Supply is Easy to change, It's at the Top Back with all the wires and plugs. That is connected to all the Hardware, You should be able to take side off computer and connect one plug at a time before mounting it at the back. Just four screws round the Fan at the back normally holds it in. Or you could remove these screws then tread the PSU out to the side leaving plugs connected, fit new one then connect plugs one by one these will only go in one way as the are shaped or have something to stop them being put in wrong.

PS it is possible to force them in wrong, so first check the plug before fitting it.

if you first remove the psu without removing plugs you can see the size of the old psu in WATTS marked on it get on as big or bigger

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:45 16 May 09

f renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

robin_x 20:52 16 May 09

If it was a fairly hefty BANG it is almost certainly the power supply. If you are unlucky it was the monitor.

Power supplies are very cheap (<£20) and easy to replace. 2 or 4 screws. Read the labels if you have the cover off. Then Google.
Or take it to your PC World/Computer Shop if you dont want to do it yourself.

Your disc drives should be OK.

sarah s 21:22 16 May 09

the upgrade disc is for up to 3 computers i beleive and shes only used it the one time

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…