hi grade comp/ power failure

mutley118 10:18 15 Dec 10

hi thanks for reading this thread!!!
i am trying to get my mums computer working, all i know at min is that its a hi grade make, will try and find out more. at first i thought it was a fuse in the plug, i swapped it and the power supply unit had a blue light on but quickly faded, i checked the fuse and that was ok, so i unplugged the power supply unit from the desktop it self and altho the blue light came on and stayed on the fan (i think) did not sound healthy, but as soon as i plug it back into desktop it repeats same as before!! does n e one have more info to help me please!

gengiscant 12:19 15 Dec 10

What make/model of PC and Power supply unit?
How did you become aware of the fault?
Have you tried cleaning the Power supply unit fan with paintbrush and hoover?

You do not explain what happens when you press the power on button.
Do fans turn,does monitored come on,is harddrive spinning.

We need a lot more info if we are to help you.

mutley118 18:02 15 Dec 10

hi sorry didnt know much more info than that! since i posted thread i tried cleaning power supply with hoover , didnt make a difference, the pc itself doesnt do ne thing when i push power button its quite literally powerless after 1 second of putting plug on.
i became aware of the fault because my mum has passed away and want to get photo.s etc off pc! monitor comes on but does not get a signal?
the pc itself is HI GRADE D21(L or I)-3
power supply unit says ac adapter ad200-12p but its got a a 4 pin round connector instead of (kettle) connector.
hope this is better information??? cheers

robertmonkford 19:06 15 Dec 10

First off, I am sorry to hear about your mum's passing. My condolences.

With respect to the PC, that doesn't sound like it's going to power up. If it was mine, I'd take out the hard drive from the PC, buy an external docking station for using with standard hard drives and plug the removed hard drive into that. At least that may still work in order for you to pull the files off the drive....unless it's password protected that is. I am also making the assumption that the internal Hard Drive from the PC is a SATA drive and not an IDE drive.

My HiGrade laptop lasted only 5 months before it was no more.

Just a little advice, but computer hardware doesn't react too well to standard hoovers due to static discharge.

mutley118 20:30 15 Dec 10

thank you.
i was heading towards that solution but i aint got a clue so i'll take it to a shop tomorrow as i really dont want to lose n e thing that might be on it.
cheers for ur help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now