hh.Dat file?

hiwatt 14:01 23 Sep 09

Hi folks.
I done a scan with Dr Web cure it and on the log it has scanned various "files" that are no longer on my computer like,ewido antispyware,lavasoft adaware,real player etc.There are no folders left on my computer at all for this stuff.The path for all these files are C:\Documents and Settings\Default\Application Data\Microsoft\HTML Help\hh.dat which points to 1 .DAT file.Has anyone got a clue as to what this can be and why it lists a lot of software that is no longer there?

beeuuem 14:10 23 Sep 09

click here or click here the file more clearly than I could.

beeuuem 14:12 23 Sep 09

There should be an 'explains' before 'the file more clearly than I could.' :-))

Graphicool1 14:13 23 Sep 09

index.dat files are Microsoft spyware files. They store all sorts of info about your PC and Browsing habits. If you haven't got it already,
download CCleaner at click here and set it to clean out the index.dat files.

hiwatt 14:37 23 Sep 09

Ccleaner doesn't get rid of it.I googled it myself but couldn't find a much info on it.I opened the file with note pad and it's a list of all these old programs I've had on my computer at one time or another?Thanks.

Graphicool1 17:20 23 Sep 09

No CCleaner won't remove the file, but it should clean it out if you set it to. Still, I presume you've deleted the contents now, haven't you?

hiwatt 17:30 23 Sep 09

This file is in a Microsoft folder in application data and is an hh.Dat file.There's no way to clean the contents as it's only one file and when I open it it just has a list of text(old software) and squares and letters?Do you think it would be safe to just delete it?

Graphicool1 17:32 23 Sep 09

The following quote is from click here and you can read the full account.

As I already said...
"The HH.DAT file is a user specific data file that holds all sorts of information about use of CHM files on a PC. For example:

Favourites: If a favourite tab is used inside a CHM, the favourite topics added by the user are recorded.
Last visited tab: When a CHM file is compiled, you can define the default tab displayed when the file is opened. If a user opened one of the other tabs (e.g. the index) and closes the file, the next time the file is opened, it will be opened in the Index tab.
The file also contains details of the user’s search history, the position of the CHM file window as well lots of other stuff. It is located in a directory according to your Windows operating system."

hiwatt 17:43 23 Sep 09

I deleted it and all seems ok,I'll keep an eye on it though.All I could see were a list of programs long removed from my computer.Funnily enough every program listed(about 20)were old ones that have been removed.Cheers.

mfletch 17:45 23 Sep 09

It may have something to do with the Microsoft help pages stored as .dat files

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac