HHD Failure... what new one do you recommend?

Bostasp 11:06 18 Jan 03
  Bostasp 11:06 18 Jan 03

My Maxtor 8gb sadly failed last night after 6 years of heavy usage.

I was just wondering, are there any hard disks that you recommend that have a long life span, are fast and reliable? My computer is on constantly, preforming as a server, and alot of the files used were on my 8gb. I only need a small harddisk, say 20-40gb, but what do you all recommend?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:15 18 Jan 03

Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor are the usual suspects. As to the longevity...there is not one that stands out although many companies that I visit seem to have Western Digital drives but I think that is just happenstance. I use a Maxtor external HD for what it is worth.

G

Bostasp 11:20 18 Jan 03

Ok, thanks. I found a Samsung 20gb... if thats worth anything?

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:30 18 Jan 03

Again another well-known maker. Which HD will last the longest or is the best is a bit like the boringly frequent 'which is better, Intel or AMD' threads that surface.

However I would be tempted to get an external HD as well that can hold all the HD files. The advantage being that you can take it with you or lock it away to be safe from burglaries, fire and as a backup in case of main HD failure. Bit expensive but could be a life saver.

G

Bostasp 11:34 18 Jan 03

Thanks, I'll look into that

spuds 11:52 18 Jan 03

Check the warranty period on your decided new hard drive.At one time nearly all reputable HD manufacturers offered a standard 3 year guarantee, but you may find that the hard drives you select may only have a 1 year warranty, as most manufacturers are reducing the guarantees on new stock. The warranty reduction time was possibly caused by the recent problems with hard drives ie IBM and Fijitsu, and claims pending from them.

Bostasp 11:56 18 Jan 03

Yeah, I was looking at that in Dabs, I noticed that the Maxtor, IBM and Seagate all had a 1 year warranty, but the Samsung had a 3 year warranty... so you know

flecc 12:21 18 Jan 03

Maxtor first choice, but the Samsungs seem to be gaining in popularity with computer manufacturers and they usually go for reliability for obvious reasons.

I'm now running a Samsung myself on the newest machine, but two Maxtors on the second. Dare I mention that the third computer has a Fujitsu, still going strong after three years, must be the only one!

barrie_g 12:52 18 Jan 03

if you have the option and decide to go for the Samsung drive try to get one with "noise guard" they really are very quiet.

Djohn 13:02 18 Jan 03

Bostasp, think that "6 years of heavy usage." speaks for itself. I have a Maxtor, and if it gives me that sort of service, then I will get another one. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…