hey all dudes! RAM question needs answering!

GEEKSTA 20:13 14 Oct 06

hey i am new to pc advisor and having ago at it!
so im just wondering id 1G RAM enough for my laptop??

Jackcoms 20:14 14 Oct 06

Enough to do what?

wolfie3000 20:16 14 Oct 06

1 GIG should be enough for general surfing and maybe playing a few games but laptops on the whole aint that good at playing the more modern games,

If you could please tell us what exactly you want to do with the laptop then we will be in a better position to help.

GEEKSTA 20:17 14 Oct 06

just to browse around and doing several other things like games and word docs and web broswers and music all at the same time??

GaT7 20:21 14 Oct 06

I've heard of multi-tasking but that's ridiculous! You'll need a super computer for that ; )

What's the present spec of your laptop, & make+ model please? G

wolfie3000 20:21 14 Oct 06

Well 1 GIG should be enough for that,
But the games might struggle a bit because the graphics card in most laptops aint that great.

GEEKSTA 21:22 14 Oct 06

i have a satellite pro A60 and currently have 512mb RAM. not to sure about grapics.

GaT7 21:40 15 Oct 06

Having had a look at a few A60s it doesn't look good. They appear to have Celeron CPUs & Mobility Radeon 7000 64Mb g'cards, which may only play old(ish) games properly.

Adding 512Mb memory may make it a bit quicker & allow more programs to run without crashing, but to play new(ish) games your best bet would be to get a new laptop with a better CPU, 1Gb Ram & 9700 128Mb g'card (or equivalent) at the very least - the higher spec you can afford the better.

If you'd like to know your present laptop's spec, use the free Everest click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant