Hewlett-Packard Printers Chewing Up Envelopes

griffon 56 23:21 05 May 04

I'm getting no joy from HP in solving the problem of my 930c and 3822 printers chewing up envelopes and jamming over them frequently. I am sure that the problem is that the spring loaded envelope guide fence has too powerful a spring, and returns to its rest position after loading an envelope. In doing so it pushes the envelope up causing it not to be taken in by the feed rollers without bending the leading edge under. The resulting double thickness always causes problems in feeding the envelope and sometimes jams the machines. I've emailed HP and they have suggested various things like making sure that the envelopes are presented the right way round and so on, and in the latest they refer to the offending guide fence as "the silver piece which springs back as you push in the envelope", clearly not making the connection between that and the fault I am experiencing. Has anyone else had the same problem, and, if so, how did they fix it, please? It's got so that I am afraid to put envelopes in either machine, the last time the 930c chewed one up the print carriage got out of phase with some plastic guide fingers and broke one off as well as jamming in mid travel.

griffon 56 23:39 10 Jun 04

Help - has no one else got an HP printer or is the posting just too dull to attract anyone's attention? Ho hum.

Cook2 23:44 10 Jun 04

Not sure about HP but on my Canon I have a slider bar under the cover which I have to move across to the right, this gives a slightly larger gap for the envelopes, or thick card, to go through. I had similar when I had an Epsom. I would assume HP have the same.

griffon 56 00:15 11 Jun 04

Thanks Cook 2 but the problem is that the fence is spring loaded and can't be manually adjusted, it just automatically pushes the envelope up and jams it. I'm looking for someone who knows how to disable the spring loaded fence.

1911 00:25 11 Jun 04

I have had 3 HP printers and I never had a spring loaded fence. It may sound stupid but are you sure it is properly set up?

1911 00:28 11 Jun 04

I also had a 930c and now have 940c No spring loaded fence.

pat2068 00:44 11 Jun 04

i also have a HP 940 and no bother loading envelopes and no spring loaded fence leo

griffon 56 22:37 11 Jun 04

1911 and Leo the Lion, on both the 930c and the 3822 if you look in the envelope slot, to the left side of the slot you will see a spring loaded fence which is pushed aside by the envelope when you load it but which often, if not always, returns to its rest position after the envelope has been slid into the slot getting under the forward end of the envelope, pushing it upward and making it difficult for the feed rollers to pick it up.

I have been trying to get HP to admit that this is a bad bit of design and to tell me how to overcome the problem. If your machines have no spring loaded fences and you can guarantee that, I would appreciate your statements as evidence that my machines are different to others of the same type and thus faulty. Thanks.

1911 00:15 12 Jun 04

Now I see what you mean. The problem never occured for me as I never used the the slot for the envelopes! I just put the envelolpes in the paper tray,moved the guide over to hold them in place and shoved them up with the back guide. The back one can be seperated to push the envelopes up all the way.
You must be right about the bad design as the 940c does not have an envelope slot.
Maybe your complaints made them have a look at it.

Bagsey 11:19 12 Jun 04

I have a 3822 and have just looked and I see the spring that you mention but I have never experienced and trouble with it. However like 1911 I rarely use it , I just stick the envelopes in the paper tray and push them up with the back paper guide.

Belatucadrus 11:25 12 Jun 04

Are the envelopes self seal ? I've never had any luck getting a printer to handle self seal envelopes consistantly, that's why I've largely gone back to the gummed ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…