//some 3rd party need geo

Here's one to get your teeth into lads.

Methedrine 15:47 03 Dec 03

I have a 30Gb Maxtor HDD partitioned into 5 (drives D,E,F,G, and H) formatted to FAT32.
Drive H is the problem. I switched the PC on this afternoon to find that H is not accessible.
It is listed in Explorer and all hardware profiles but I just can't get into it.

I have tried system restore, thinking that, just maybe, XP Pro had thrown a spoony fit, to no avail. Tried Windows help. Ran AVG thinking it might be a virus as this drive is used as a general storage area for anything I D/L off the net, programs from coverdiscs, work stuff, Zonealarm and AVG updates and most precious of all, my photos of my wife and kids.

Please help.
Methedrine.

Diodorus Siculus 15:50 03 Dec 03

Right click on it in within explorer and see what tools you have listed under properties - it may be possible to run error checking / defrag which may help.

Methedrine 15:54 03 Dec 03

Tried that. Just comes up with "Drive H needs formatting. Do you want to format now?".

powerless 15:56 03 Dec 03

Start, Run, Type:

diskmgmt.msc

Click OK

Take a look at the H partition and see what the "Status" of it is.

Start, Run, Type:

eventvwr.msc

Click OK.

Have a look at the SYSTEM log and see if there is any red ERRORS. Double click them and see if it relates to the disk problem.

Methedrine 16:07 03 Dec 03

Status is healthy but no file system is listed.

Event viewer has many red errors and most say that the disk has a bad block (event ID 7). Odd one will state "the driver detected a controller error" (event ID 11).

Methedrine 21:44 03 Dec 03

Bad form, I know but, bump.

DieSse 22:03 03 Dec 03

Sounds a lot like a faulty disk drive then.

AndySD 22:06 03 Dec 03

Try updating the motherboard drivers.

Check in the bios that the disk is set to DMA.

click here

Try cchanging the ide cable or put the hd on the other ide channel.

AndySD 22:09 03 Dec 03

Also try PowerMax click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…