//some 3rd party need geo

Hercules Kyro Prophet 4000XT 64MB PCI

JGAULD 14:59 11 Jan 03
  JGAULD 14:59 11 Jan 03

Hello All,
I recently installed a Hercules Kyro Prophet 4000XT 64MB PCI GFX card as the 32MB GEFORCE was feeling the strain latley with a new batch of installed games.
I am happy with the 4000XT it is a big improvement over the old un, but on setting up the options for the card I noticed I have the option to overclock the card.

I get a warning message which states.

Changing the clock speed is not recommended, an incorect value could overheat/damage the card and will invalidate your warranty.
Its set half way along the sliding scale, with a value of 115.

Has anyone any expereince of overclocking this card and do you think it is worth the risk?
Also, if I did change the value, how would they know I had?
Any comments advise would be great, thanks in advance.
J.

PªūĽ ™ ♂ 15:24 11 Jan 03

The kyro will not overclock very well at all. I used to have the AGP version and it wasnt a good overclocker. It probably isnt worth the risk unless you dont care about the card. With regards to how they would know. It all depends upon how the card dies. If it burns out but the heatsink still works then it will look suspect. If you do go down the overclock route take it slowly 5Mhz at a time when you get artifacts or tearing on the display you have gone too far. Be careful and dont expect too much.

vinnyT 16:08 11 Jan 03

Also, as well as Pª?? ™ input, remember that video cards run very hot (normally) and that by o/cing one it will run even hotter which may damage the card, but will also make the inside of your comp hotter, with risk to other componants.

PªūĽ ™ ♂ 17:59 11 Jan 03

Good point vinny T I overclock just about everything I have. I would O/C the CD drive if I could. It dosent hurt as long as your aware of what your doing and you know the risks. If you rig runs cool then it isnt a big problem especially at this time of year, If its running hot already and you really want to O/C take measures to get better cooling. Its probably not worth the hassle on a Kyro card. The increase would be negligable if you even got it to O/C

JGAULD 19:17 11 Jan 03

Thanks all, I will take your advise and leave well alone. I'm quite happy with the performance of the card for the price and the limitations of PCI connection.
I was just curious and on a final note, it does seem a bit daft to make it so easy to overclock this card and cook it at the same time, I wonder how many folk go ramping the slider up without thinking of the consiquences!! I guess Hercules will be hoping they do and have to go buy another ;).
Thanks again. J.

PS. First time I have posted to a PC Forum since .TV went under.
I'm impressed, keep up the good work.

PªūĽ ™ ♂ 22:39 11 Jan 03

I ram the slider up without thinking. I tend to get bored with increasing it at 5MZ a time then running a benchmark program for ten minutes. I have never fried any hardware yet though If the screen is corrupted when you try to play a game then you have gone too far, Like wise if your system becomes unstable. I currently run my Geforce 3 TI 200 at 249/530 the stock speeds are 175/400 It behaves at that but any higher and it wont play. I am the original ijit that gets enjoyment from Overclocking. I dont know why but i do. Steer clear if your not sure but if you need further advice post here or feel free to contact me.

JGAULD 00:11 12 Jan 03

Thanks PªūĽ ™ LOL I appreciate the honesty :)
Come to think of it the fan on the card looks well up for the job and is nice and quiet to, which is nice.

I was impressed by the bulid quality of this board it seems very well made and almost justify's the price tag, thats not often heard from me.

If you noticed my other post on consumer, I have linked this up to a proview TFT monitor and Im very happy with the eye candy provided. Thanks again.
J.

PªūĽ ™ ♂ 15:00 12 Jan 03

Thats no problem Im no expert overclocker just an amateur who is learning. I am slightly impatient though. The card you have bought is made by a very good company there hardware is in my opinion top notch it can be expensive but the build quality is excellent. Leave the OC alone the 3D prophets didnt come with ram sinks or any other form of cooling on them so it is dangerous to O/C the memory. Stock fans are also not very good for Overclocking. If your happy with the way it performs and the way it looks stick with it. You will get good service from the card as I did with mine. For a look at a few extreme Heatsink setups on video cards click here click here click here Thats what you need to do if you want to keep your card happy and running at higher clok speeds permanently

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…